Subject: Fwd: Schindler's killer up4 clemency
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 1996 16:35:17 -0400

TO:   News editors and reporters

FROM:  Michael Petrelis, ph.# 415-621-6267

DATE:  June 24, 1996

RE:   Schindler's killer up for clemency

I've been notified by the gay advocacy group Servicemembers Legal Defense
Network, that former US sailor Terry Helvey, the man court-martialed and
convicted for brutally murdering gay sailor Allen Schindler in a public rest
room in Sasebo, Japan, has a clemency hearing scheduled for July 16 in
Kansas. 

Schindler was murdered in October of 1992 in a rest room in a public park
near the US military base in Sasebo, Japan, because of his homosexuality.
While walking back to his ship the Belleau Wood, Schindler was attacked in
the park by Helvey and fellow sailor Charles Vins, then dragged into the
men's room, where he was stomped to death. Before the case attracted media
attention, Vins cut a sweetheart deal with naval prosecutors seeking to build
a case against Helvey. Vins received only a three month sentence for his
active and integral role in Schindler's murder.

The July 16 clemency hearing will determine if Helvey deserves a decrease in
his sentence. He is not up for parole at this hearing. If you want to
guarantee Helvey's life-long sentence is NOT reduced one day, then write a
letter and make a phone call to the following:

 Naval Clemency & Parole Boards
 Dept. of Army
 US Disciplinary Barracks
 Attn: Boards Branch, DIA
 300 McPherson Avenue
 Ft. Leavenworth, KS  66027-5223

 Jocelyn Wolf
 Victim Liaison
 913-684-5223

Also, Schindler's mother, Dorothy Hajdys-Holman, told me today that she is
circulating petitions, in an effort to gather one million signatures from
people who believe Helvey should serve his full sentence. She hopes to have
the signatures by the summer of 2002, which is when Helvey's parole hearing
is currently scheduled for. To obtain a copy of the petition, please write
to:

 Dorothy Hajdys-Holman
 PO Box 104
 Steger, IL  60475

Please take action against Helvey's sentence possibly being diminished. Or,
Schindler's horrific death will have been in vain, and other homophobic
homicidal men will get a message that it's acceptable to kill queers.