Subject: ACTION ALERT: Gay Sailor's Murderer Gets Clemency Hearing
From: James Yorton <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 1996 20:13:42 -0500 (CDT)

[ Moderator Note:  No phone number or FAX number was provided,
  just the address below. ]

** Expires September 18, 1996 **

SUMMARY:

The Naval Clemency and Parole Board has scheduled a clemency hearing on 18
September for Terry Helvey, who is serving a life sentence for the brutal
gay-bashing and murder of shipmate Allen Schindler.  Helvey has petitioned
the board to have his sentence reduced.  

Servicemembers Legal Defense Network staff attorney Kirk Childress will
appear on behalf of Allen's mother, Mrs. Dorothy Hadjys-Holman, to argue
against clemency for Helvey.  The board also accepts written comments from
the public.

ACTION:

SLDN urges you to write the board in support of Mrs. Hadjys-Holman's
effort to see that Helvey indeed spends the rest of his life behind bars
and that justice is done, for the sake of her son's memory and for the
safety of all gay men and lesbians currently serving in the military.

Naval Clemency and Parole Board
801 N. Randolph Road, Suite 1130
Arlington, VA  22203

---
_____________________________________________________________________________

* ACTION-ALERT is a moderated mailing list.                                 *
* To subscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:    [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe action-alert *
* To unsubscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:  [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe action-alert *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                             *
_____________________________________________________________________________