Subject: ACTION ALERT: Military Witch Hunt
From: James Yorton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 1996 19:14:31 -0500 (CDT)

[ submitted by [email-masked] ]

SLDN ACTION ALERT
***URGENT:  YOUR HELP NEEDED***

Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, the only national organization
dedicated to assisting military personnel hurt by the "Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell,
Don’t Pursue" policy asks for your IMMEDIATE help in stopping a witch hunt in
Hawaii.  SLDN is currently assisting servicemembers caught up in a witch hunt
of suspected gay military personnel in Honolulu, Hawaii.  The investigation
began when one Air Force member was criminally convicted and told that he
would receive a reduced sentence if he produced a list of male servicemembers
and accused them of consensual gay sex.  At least seventeen servicemembers
across all service branches have been targeted.  Military prosecutors at
Hickam Air Force Base, in particular, continue to question servicemembers
about their own sexual orientation and that of others, in violation of the
current "don’t ask, don’t tell, don’t pursue" policy.  Because of the
on-going purge of suspected gay servicemembers, one servicemember has already
been separated, two are awaiting discharge and at least one other
servicemember faces the very real threat of court-martial and jail-time if
convicted.  

The witch hunt continues despite months of working within the system to end
it.  The Department of Defense, the Air Force and Hickam Air Force Base have
failed to respond to numerous inquiries made over the last several months on
behalf of the accused servicemembers by SLDN and the members’ Congressional
representatives. 

It is clear that the only avenue left to these servicemembers is a massive
public response on their behalf and they ask for your help now.

CALLS ARE UGENTLY NEEDED, in order of priority, to 

The Honorable William Perry, the Secretary of Defense, voice: (703) 695-5261;
fax: (703) 695-1219; mail: 1000 Defense Pentagon, Washington, DC  20301-1000.

General John G. Lorber, the Commander of the Pacific Air Forces, voice: (808)
449-1711; fax: (808) 449-9520; mail: HQ PACF/cc 25 E Street, Suite G-214,
Hickam AFB, HI  96853-5420

The Honorable Sheila Widnall, the Secretary of the Air Force, voice: (703)
694-7376; fax:  703/693-7553; mail: Air Force Pentagon, Room 4E871,
Washington, DC 20330

The four things callers should say are 1) that a witch hunt is being
conducted at Hickam Air Force Base against servicemembers suspected of being
gay,  2) that the caller understands that the office they are calling is
aware of the witch hunt and has done nothing to stop it, 3) that they are
outraged that people’s lives and careers are being ruined because of
violations of the "don’t ask, don’t tell, don’t pursue" policy and the
civilian and military leadership is allowing it to happen, and finally, 4)
that something must be done to immediately stop the witch hunt and protect
those unjustly pursued.

It is essential that these calls go out immediately.  Please pass this action
alert on to others and encourage them to call those listed above.  If
possible, please email SLDN at [email-masked] so we can keep track of how many
calls are made.  THANK YOU. 

---
_____________________________________________________________________________

* ACTION-ALERT is a moderated mailing list.                                 *
* To subscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:    [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe action-alert *
* To unsubscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:  [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe action-alert *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                             *
_____________________________________________________________________________