Subject: ACTION ALERT: Gay Sailor's Murderer Gets Clemency Hearing
From: James Yorton <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Jul 1996 21:29:03 -0500 (CDT)

[ ACTION ALERT composed from article in Chicago's Windy City Times, 7/4/96,
  and Michael Petrelis' post in America Online.

  Please copy and forward this alert! ]

			** Expires:  July 16, 1996 **

SUMMARY:

* On October 27, 1992, gay Navy Petty Officer Allen Schindler was murdered
  in Sasebo on the Japanese island of Kuyshu, simply because he was gay.

* The injuries sustained on Schindler during his beating were so severe
  that a medical examiner compared the injuries to those that would occur
  in an airplane crash (internal organs were just "mush").  His face was
  completely disfigured and his mother could only identify his body through
  a tattoo on his arm.

* The convicted murderer, Terry Helvey, who beat and stomped Schindler
  to death, was court-martialed, received a dishonorable discharge,
  and was sentenced to life in prison.

* Accomplice Charles Vins, received only a three month sentence for his
  role.  (He cut a deal with prosecutors).

* And now, convicted murderer Helvey will receive a clemency hearing
  to determine if his sentence should be *reduced* !!

*  According to Michael Petrelis' posting in AOL, the clemency hearing
   is scheduled for July 16.  Petrelis' phone number is 415-621-6267.

ACTION NEEDED:

* Please write a letter and make a phone call, STRONGLY URGING that
  Helvey's sentence REMAIN AT LIFE IN PRISON.

	Write to:

	Naval Clemency & Parole Boards
	Dept. of Army
	US Disciplinary Barracks
	Attn: Boards Branch, DIA
	300 McPherson Avenue
	Ft. Leavenworth, KS  66027-5223

	And please call (with the same message):

	Jocelyn Wolf
	Victim Liaison
	913-684-5223

(FAX numbers are not available.)

OTHER INFORMATION:

* Schindler's mother, Dorothy Hajdys-Holman, is also circulating petitions
  in an effort to gather one million signatures from people who believe
  Helvey should serve his full sentence. She hopes to have the signatures by
  the summer of 2002, which is when Helvey's parole hearing (which is
  different than clemency) is currently scheduled. To obtain a copy of
  the petition, please write to:

 	Dorothy Hajdys-Holman
 	P.O. Box 104
 	Steger, IL  60475
---
_____________________________________________________________________________

* ACTION-ALERT is a moderated mailing list.                                 *
* To subscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:    [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe action-alert *
* To unsubscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:  [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe action-alert *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                             *
_____________________________________________________________________________