Subject: Gays/Military articles?
From: Sam Damon <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 1995 08:47:37 -0400 (edt)

> A colleague of mine is doing a paper on the issue of gays in the military. 
> He's asking for references to books and esp. articles on the topic.  Please
> help (asap).  Send selections to me.  

In addition to the list I posted a few days ago, here are two more
references:

Gay & Lesbian Stats: A Pocket Guide of Facts & Figures.  Edited by Bennett
L. Singer and David Deschamps.  The New Press, New York, 1994.
This excellent 80 page booklet is crammed with factoids and stats, most no
longer than 3 sentences, and all documented to their original source, amking
further research easy.  Pages 51-55 is devoted to the military.  Other
chapters include bisexuality, activism, violence, workplace, youth/education
and civil rights/laws.  There are 20 chapters in all, and an excellent
summary of every gay demographics study ever done in the US.  Highly
recommended.

Several issues of The Advocate had articles on gays in the military.  The
only one I have is from May 17, 1994, where their cover story is "One Year
After."  The article reviews the personalities involved in the fight and
their lives when the article was written.  The people interviewed include
Keith Menhold (cover model), his attorney John McGuire, Margarethe
Cammermeyer, Barney Frank, Joe Steffan, Perry Watkins, and many others.