Subject: Meinhold decision

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1993 15:15:05 -0800 (PST)

UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE, ET AL. 
                               V. 
                     VOLKER KEITH MEINHOLD  
  
                             A-373 
     
               SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES 
    
                   October 29, 1993, Decided 

JUDGES:   [*1]   Rehnquist, Blackmun, Stevens, O'Connor, Scalia, Kennedy, Souter,
Thomas, Ginsburg.   
  
OPINION: The application of the Solicitor General for a stay, presented to
Justice O'Connor and by her referred to the Court, is granted in part. It is
ordered that so much of the order of the United States District Court for the
Central District of California, No. CV 92-6044 TJH (JRx), filed September 30,
1993, as grants relief to persons other than Volker Keith Meinhold is stayed
pending disposition of the appeal by the United States Court of Appeals for the
Ninth Circuit. See Heckler v. Lopez, 463 U.S. 1328 (Rehnquist, J., in chambers),
motion to vacate stay denied, 464 U.S. 879 (1983); id., at 881 (Stevens, J.,
dissenting in part). The request for a stay of the portion of the injunction
prohibiting the Government from maintaining records pertaining to Meinhold is
denied. It is further ordered that the Government can file, under seal, any such
documents pending the final outcome of this litigation.