From: "Lois Klesa Morrison" <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Jun 93 09:08:02 EST

I heard on the radio Wednesday morning that a survey done by the
University here shows Georgians split almost 50/50 (see below) on gays
in the military.  This is hardly a liberal state, and maybe knowing
about the gestapo-like tactics of the investigatory agencies (who
couldn't find any wrong-doing in the Tailhook situation initially) could
swing people to the pro-gay side of this issue.

I called a friend who works where the survey was taken, and he gave me
the information that follows.  By way of background, they do state-wide
surveys twice a year, and there are a lot more topics covered.  The
survey is put together by graduate students, and the only significance
to any of the topics/questions is that it interested a graduate student
on the project.  There was a write-up about the whole survey in the
local paper, but I haven't read it.  I would guess this is public
information, but I am posting it without permission.

Please remember this is Sam Nunn's home state when you write your
Senators and Representatives.

1) The curriculum in the Georgia public schools should include lessons
on people of different races, ethnic groups, and cultures. Do you
strongly agree, agree somewhat, disagree somewhat, or strongly disagree
with that statement?

Strongly Agree    41.9%     N=171
Agree Somewhat    43.9%     N=179
Disagree Somewhat  5.9%     N=24
Disagree Strongly  5.6%     N=23
Don't Know         2.7%     N=11

2) How about gay and lesbian lifestyles? Do you strongly agree, agree
somewhat, disagree somewhat, or strongly disagree with that statement?

Strongly Agree     6.7%     N=27
Agree Somewhat    18.0%     N=72
Disagree Somewhat 15.7%     N=63
Disagree Strongly 53.9%     N=216
Don't Know         5.7%     N=23

3) As you know, the question of whether homosexuals should be allowed to
serve in the military has been the subject of much recent debate.  Do
you strongly agree, agree somewhat, disagree somewhat, or strongly
disagree that homosexuals have a constitutional right to serve in the US
armed forces?

Strongly Agree    20.5%    N=82
Agree Somewhat    25.8%    N=103
Disagree Somewhat 12.8%    N=51
Disagree Strongly 36.3%    N=145
Don't Know         4.8%    N=19

4) Do you strongly agree, agree somewhat, disagree somewhat, or strongly
disagree that allowing homosexuals to serve in the military would be
harmful to our armed forces ability to protect the nation?

Strongly Agree    32.9%    N=132
Agree Somewhat    18.0%    N=72
Disagree Somewhat 21.4%    N=86
Disagree Strongly 21.9%    N=88
Don't Know         5.7%    N=23

My personal interpretation is that while #1 and #2 indicate people do
not have an overall liberal attitude on gays and lesbians, #3 and #4
indicate support for lifting the ban.  I was suprised the numbers would
be this high for a "constitutional right" to serve; I would think more
people would believe gays and lesbians should be allowed to serve than
would agree there was right to serve.