Subject: Don't Ask, Don't Tell: The Song!
From: [email-masked] (Gretchen Klotz)
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1993 21:39:41 GMT
Newsgroups: soc.motss

Today I get to break Usenet tradition and post some copyrighted material
WITH PERMISSION!!!  What a rush! ;-)

I've posted here before about Motherlode, a quartet of women from the
Pacific Northwest.  They sponsor an annual women's music celebration, and
the 2 times I've gone have been *wonderful*.  Motherlode performs
regularly in the area, and each fall they have a gala concert here in
Portland.  Last year, in the midst of the fight against Measure 9, they
chose the theme of "building community." This year, it was "family
values." And what a family!  I'm sure that the OCA would *not* have agreed
with Motherlode's definition (which is the OCA's loss, I'm sure). 

Anyhow, among their wonderful, empowering, inspiring, serious, funny,
loving songs, they snuck in an analysis of the "don't ask, don't tell,
don't pursue" policy that had the entire audience rolling in the aisles. 
I immediately thought of sharing it with this group, and am lucky enough
to share e-correspondence with one of the members of Motherlode.  So,
something with permission for once!  Enjoy.

----------begin included message----------

Written mostly by Kathleen...with a little help from the rest of us, but
she gets the credit.  Here's the lyrics.  Just post the copyright
information with it, and it should be OK.

DON'T ASK,  DON'T TELL
c. 1993  Kathleen Fallon
Motherlode Music

(to the tune of As the Cassions Go Rolling Along)

If you don't ask, I won't tell
And you'll think that I'm just swell
as the gay ones go rolling along.

If I don't tell, will you check?
Will you make my life a wreck?
as the gay ones go rolling along.

For when we fight, to kill will be alright
but our loving must not get out of hand
So it's just buck up and if your queer you're out of luck
as the war machine goes rolling along.

Sam Nunn, he's the one
The moral world weighs a ton 
	(He's got the moral world in his hands  
	He's got the moral world in his hands
	He's got the moral world in his hands...) 
Civil rights go rolling away.

He knows that only straight boys can play with military toys
and men who are with men must not be men.
If loving women is the rule, then all lesbians are cool
Civil rights go rolling along.

I will kiss my true Miss
That will put me on a list
and the brass can kiss my ass
I won't hide who I am
I'm a gay American
and the brass can kiss my ass

The showers might be scary, and the homophobes are wary
Some men have leered at women all these years
So the hypocrites who fear better look into the mirror
as the war machine goes rolling along.

So hello kiss and tell, goodbye Tailhook hotel
As the cassions go rolling along (repeat)

Be all that you can be!

----------end included message----------

They performed this a cappella with military-*type* hats, little American
flags, and whistles.  It was great!  Hope you all got a chuckle too. 

- Gretchen

P.S.  And I agree with Emily -- I *wish* everyone, especially the gov't
and media, would stop calling it the "don't ask, don't tell" policy, but
I'm not sure what else works...  Any ideas? 

-- 
           *** Love whomever you want as much as you can! ***

--
  Thomas W. Holt Jr. | Snail-mail: 609 S 6th St Terre Haute, IN 47807-4313
  QRD Assistant Elf! | Email: [email-masked] | Vox: 812-234-2814
  Queer Resource Directory is available via Ftp WAIS Gopher Mosaic FtpMail
  Be Political Not Polite | Gay, Pagan, Proud! | Silence=Death Action=Life