From: [email-masked] (louis crompton)
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 1993 11:03:51 -0600 (CST)

The new Rand Corporation report on gays in the military has received 
mention in the press but I have seen no published account of the 
study.  If you wish to locate the study in your library the title is 
"Sexual Orientation  and U.S. Military Policy: Options and 
Assessment."  The study was prepared for the Office of the Secretary 
of Defense. It is a substantial work of 518 pages with a 50 page 
bibliography.   To give you an idea of the contents, here are the 
chapter headings:

     	l. Overview
     	2. Sexual Orientation and Sexual Behavior
     	3. Analogous Experience of Foreign Military Services (Canada, 
     		Norway, the Netherlands, Germany, France,
     		Israel, United Kingdom)
     	4. Analogous Experience of Domestic Police and Fire 
     		Departments 
     	5. Analogous Situations: Integrating Blacks 
     	6. Relevant Public Opinion
     	7. Relevant Military Opinion
     	8. The Prevalence of HIV/AIDS
     	9. Anti-Homosexual Violence
     	10. Unit Cohesion and Military Performance
        11.Legal Considerations
     	12.Implementing Policy Change
     	13. Potential Effects on Military Recruitment and Retention

The study argues that any problems integrating gays into the military
should be minor and manageable and counters military hysteria on the 
subject with cool analysis.

Two other sources I have not examined are:

     	Gays in Uniform: The Pentagon's Secret Reports. Boston: 
     		Alyson  Publications, 1990. $6.95

     	Homosexuality in the Military: A Sourcebook of Offical 
     		Uncensored U.S. Government Documents. Diane 
     			Publishing. $29.95.

The Rand study is available in paper for $14.95. Phone 310-393-0411, 
     ext. 6683.  Ask for study MR-323-OSD.			     			

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DELETE THIS LINE AND BELOW WHEN QUOTING A PREVIOUS MESSAGE.
Otherwise, your message will not be forwarded to the list.

To be added to or removed from the list, send mail to
         [email-masked]

To send mail to the list, send mail to
         [email-masked]