Subject: US Navy Witch Hunt in Japan
From: James Binder <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 7 May 92 19:11:50 PDT

US Navy Witch Hunt In Japan

The US Navy is currently conducting a witch hunt of gay sailors on
bases in Japan.  Thirteen Sailors have been discharged, and up to
30 more are under investigation.  Two have been court-martialed
and sentenced to four and five months confinement at hard labor,
stripped of their monthly pay while confined, demoted and given
bad conduct discharges.  They pled guilty to criminal charges of
sodomy and committing indecent acts after being caught having
sexual relations aboard the Navy's Independence in Yokosuka,
Japan.  The Navy discharges about 500 officers and sailors as
homosexuals each year.  Protest to the Navy:  see addresses
following.

TAKE ACTION!!

Letters demanding an immediate stop to the witch hunt and proper
treatment for the persons involved may be sent to:

Vice Admiral Stanley Arthur Commander 7th Fleet
FPO AP 96601-6003

G. Gregory Monroe Lead NIS Investigator
FPO AP 96601-6003

Hon. H. Lawrence Garrett, III Secretary of the Navy Department of
the Navy The Pentagon Washington, DC  20350

Secretary of Defense The Pentagon Washington, DC  20350

General Colin L. Powell Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff The
Pentagon Washington, DC  20301

send copies to House and Senate Armed Service Committee

Call the Yokosuka Navy Base at 011-81-468-261-911 to register a
complaint with the Cammander of the 7th Fleet or the Base Public
Affairs Officer.

Work to end the persecution of gays and lesbians in the military
by joining:  The Bay Area Military Freedom Project  (415) 306-0477
3790 El Camino Real, St. 188, Palo Alto, CA  94306