Subject: CONTROVERSIAL PRO-GAY DECLARATION ISSUED BY CLERGY
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 21:03:08 EDT

NEW ENGLAND UNITED METHODISTS ISSUE CONTROVERSIAL DECLARATION IN SUPPORT OF 
FULL INCLUSION OF GAY AND LESBIAN PERSONS IN THE CHURCH

New England Declaration Issued in Opposition to Current Church Policy

******************************************
PRESS RELEASE  June 6, 2000
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Methodist Federation for Social Action
******************************************

Boston, MA (June 5, 2000)  Earlier this week, over 300 clergy and lay members 
of the New England Annual Conference of the United Methodist Church (UMC) 
issued the New England Declaration, a statement voicing their support for the 
full inclusion of gay and lesbian persons in the life of the church, stating 
their strong opposition to the current policies of the UMC.

"This declaration stands in stark contrast to the events at General 
Conference earlier this year, where the United Methodist Church affirmed 
policies stating that homosexuality is incompatible with Christian teaching," 
stated The Rev. Richard Harding, a retired pastor from New England and one of 
the drafters of the declaration. "The people who signed this statement are 
saying that as Christians, we believe that sexuality is God's gift to 
humankind, whether a person is homosexual or heterosexual.  The New England 
Conference signers want everyone to know that ALL are welcome at our table!"

The declaration states that "the church is deeply divided on issues related 
to God's gift of sexual orientation, and any pretense that we are of one mind 
only serves to deepen the estrangement and isolation of
those who are excluded, and imposes premature closure upon the church's 
search to faithfully discern the will of God."

It goes on to make three affirmations:
· that human sexuality is a good gift of God (including homosexuality, 
heterosexuality and bi-sexuality),
· that loving, monogamous, intimate relationships between persons of the same 
or opposite gender, are an expression of God's love, and 
· that persons of all sexual orientations are equally called to ordained 
ministry.

According to The Rev. Kathryn Johnson, Executive Director National Office of 
the Methodist Federation for Social Action, signers of the declaration 
committed to proclaim in pulpits, Sunday School classrooms and elsewhere, 
that homosexuality (no more or less than heterosexuality) is compatible with 
Christian teaching.

Last year, New England Conference voted to be a Reconciling Conference, 
meaning that this Conference is fully inclusive and welcoming to gay, 
lesbian, bisexual, and transgender individuals and their families. 
Additionally, 32 retired clergy from the New England Conference signed a 
statement last year stating that they would be willing to perform same sex 
unions despite a church law prohibiting union ceremonies between two
people of the same sex.

For a copy of the New England Declaration and the signers, go to 
http://www.olg.com/mfsa

For further information contact:

The Rev. Richard Harding of the New England Chapter 
of the Methodist Federation for Social Action
Phone:  978-287-5250 
Email:   [email-masked]

The Rev. Kathryn Johnson, Executive Director
National Office of the Methodist Federation for Social Action
Phone:  202-546-8806
Email:  [email-masked]