Subject: Hundreds Turn Out in Boston After Transexual Murder
From: Riki Anne Wilchins <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 19:45:58 -0500

Hundreds Turn Out in Boston After Transexual Murder 
 
Contact: Nancy Nangeroni  (617)497-6928  [email-masked] 
 
[December 22, 1995  -   BOSTON, MA] 
In the wake of the Nov. 20 murder of Chanelle Pickett and the murder of
Deborah Forte in Haverhill May 15, Boston's Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and
Transgender communities joined in actions designed to heighten awareness of
transgender violence. 
 
On Sunday evening, December 10, approximately 250 people gathered at the
Arlington Street church to pay tribute to Chanelle Pickett and voice their
outrage.  The service was organized by Sue Hyde of NGLTF, Robb Johnson of
the Fenway Victim Recovery Program, and Nancy Nangeroni of The Transexual
Menace.  Represented were both queer and straight people of all classes and
colors. 
 
Chanelle's twin sister Gabrielle, also transexual, spoke movingly of her
sister's energy, spirit and goals.  In a show of poise and strength, she
called those present to work toward change in the aftermath of the her
twin's murder. 
 
Following the memorial service, a candlelight vigil processed through the
Public Garden and across the Common. The procession ended at the State
House, where Nancy Nangeroni addressed the crowd, calling for the education
of elected representatives to the hurt visited upon those who transgress
gender "norms."  The vigil concluded with the hanging of a memorial wreath
for Chanelle on the State House front gate. 
 
In a followup action on December 18, activists calling themselves the
"Remember Chanelle" committee announced formation of several task forces,
including a Media task force to monitor media coverage of transgender
issues and violence, a Legislative task force to lobby state legislators
for bias crimes legislation, a Community task force to reach out to the
local GLBT community, and a Victim Recovery task force to provide aid to
victims, survivors and their families. [END]