Subject: Maine's Anti-Gay Initiative PR
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 1995 09:19:58 -0400

NO on 1
MAINE WON'T DISCRIMINATE

For Immediate Release                   
August 31, 1995     
Contact:  Sasha Soreff,  (207) 761-1788  

Radical Right Groups Target Maine with Anti-Gay Initiative

 After failing to pass statewide anti-gay measures last year in Idaho and
Oregon, radical right groups this year have targeted the first state east of
the Mississippi.  Question #1 will appear on ballots throughout Maine on
November 7, 1995. 

 The measure seeks to deny basic rights to lesbians, gays and other people by
keeping them off the list of groups protected under Maine's
anti-discrimination laws.  The wording of the question is as follows: "Do you
favor the changes in Maine law limiting protected classifications, in future
state and local laws to race, color, sex, physical or mental disability,
religion, age, ancestry, national origin, familial status, and marital
status, and repealing existing laws which expand these classifications as
proposed by citizen petition?"

 "This flawed and intentionally confusing question targets gays and lesbians
for discrimination but would adversely impact all sorts of people, " says Pat
Peard, Chair of the Maine Won't Discriminate Executive Board.  Maine Won't
Discriminate is a coalition of individuals and groups opposing the measure.
 The Maine Council of Churches, the Maine Chamber of Commerce and Industry,
Independent Governor Angus King and the Maine Lesbian/Gay Political Alliance
have joined more than 70 groups throughout the state working to defeat
Question 1.

 The measure was written by Virginia lawyer Bruce Fein, an operative of
radical right groups that have pushed similar measures in other states.  Fein
once dismissed the Bill of Rights as "vastly overrated."  Question 1 is being
pushed by "Concerned Maine Families," and the "Coalition to End Special
Rights." The latter is a newly formed group which has vowed to bring in money
from Focus on the Family, the Family Research Council, Concerned Women for
America, and other national extremist groups.  

 "Maine Won't Discriminate has created the best grassroots organization that
this state has ever seen, but we will take a lot to defeat the radical right
groups descending on Maine," says Peard.  Contributions should be made
payable to Maine Won't Discriminate and can be sent to PO Box 11061,
Portland, Maine 04104, (207) 761-1788.  

--30--

Paid for by Maine Won't Discriminate
P.O. Box 11061, Portland, ME 04104; (800) 761-1788; (207) 761-1788; (207)
774-6592 fax
P.O. Box 1024, Bangor, ME 04402; (207) 990-5111; (207) 990-5151 fax
Internet: [email-masked]