Subject: Maine Leg. Votes No on Discrimination Measure
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 May 1995 10:12:26 -0400

Vote No
MAINE WON'T DISCRIMINATE
*************************

Discrimination Bill Goes Down in Legislature 
LD 310 to go to Referendum

For Immediate Release:        Contact: Amy Pritchard
May 25, 1995            (800) 761-1788

The Maine Legislature today voted not to pass LD 310,  An Act to Limit
Protected Classes Under Maine Law, which seeks to exclude groups not
specifically listed in the bill from receiving protection from
discrimination. The Legislature's acceptance of the 13-0  "Ought not to Pass"
recommendation from the Judiciary Committee means that the bill will now go
to referendum in November.    

The bill was a legislative parallel to the citizen initiative, to be voted on
in November, designed to permanently limit those who can receive protection
from discrimination in Maine. Had the bill passed in the Legislature, the
referendum would have been removed from the ballot because its provisions
would have become Maine law. 

Senator Peter Mills (R-Skowhegan), Chair of the Judiciary Committee commented
that ,"The Judiciary Committee's unanimous rejection of the bill reflects
that the measure appears to have very little support in the Legislature."

According to Pat Peard, spokesperson for Maine Won't Discriminate: "The
Judiciary Committee clearly recognized the flaws with this bill. It is poorly
worded, it would deliberately mislead the voters and it would have a wide
range of unintended consequences."
 
These hidden consequences include taking legal protections away from groups
such as veterans and workers' compensation recipients who are currently
protected.

Pat Peard added, "the people of Maine will recognize, as the Judiciary
Committee and the Legislature did, that this referendum is not acceptable.
Discrimination is not a Maine value."

-30-

Paid for by Maine Won't Discriminate
P.O. Box 11061, Portland, ME 04104; 800-761-1788; 207-761-1788; 207-774-6592
fax
P.O. Box 963, Bangor, ME 04402; 207-990-5111; 207-990-5151 fax
internet: [email-masked]