Subject: LA-NEWS: LEGAL Committees
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 1995 18:37:02 -0400

******************************************************************************
******************************************************************************
****

     LOUISIANA ELECTORATE of GAYS AND LESBIANS (LEGAL)
                                     PO Box 70344
                         New Orleans, LA 70172-0344
                                     504-525-7117
                           email: [email-masked]
                                   Brian J.P. Hartig
                                  Statewide Director

         Louisiana's ONLY statewide non-profit lesbian and gay
                                        human rights organization.

******************************************************************************
******************************************************************************
****

Friends,
LEGAL has created several organizational committees which will effectively
broaden the scope of the organization, spread out the workload, involve more
people in LEGAL's day-to-day operations and make the acquisition of LEGAL's
goals a reality -- sooner.

Of the several committees we have created (media, newsletter, voter
registration, membership, fund-raiser, etc.) the first committee to be
announced is the LEGAL Voter Registration Committee.

If you are interested in working on this committee -- or another -- contact
LEGAL.

              VOTER REGISTRATION COMMITTEE

A. LEGAL Voter Registration Committee.
	1) The LEGAL Voter Registration Committee (L-VRC) will work toward
identifying persons in the lesbian and gay community who are not registered
to vote.
	2) The L-VRC will ensure that these persons are provided with the means by
which to correctly register.
	3) The L-VRC will ensure that any forms completed in order to register a
person to vote are promptly returned to the Registrar of Voters Office in the
immediate area.

B. Composition.
	1) The L-VRC shall be composed of enough officers so as to amply provide the
services needed to Louisiana's lesbian and gay communities.
	2) One person shall be the chair of the L-VRC. 
	3) The rest of the officers will represent areas around the state.
	4) At least one officer from each of the larger metropolitan areas of
Louisiana will preside on this committee. 	
	5) These areas include, but are not limited to,	
		a) Alexandria-Pineville, 
		b) Baton Rouge, 
		c) Lafayette, 
		d) Lake Charles, 
		e) Monroe, 
		f) New Orleans, 
		g) Shreveport. 
	6) The chairperson of the L-VRC will be an officer from one of these areas
or may be an additional officer from one of these areas.

D. Duties of the Chairperson.
	1) The Chairperson will coordinate efforts around the state to ensure that
ample voter registration is occurring. 
	2) The Chairperson will oversee the work of the other officers of the L-VRC,
ensuring that voter registration drives are occurring and that they are being
handled in the proper manner.

E. Duties of L-VRC Officers.
	1) L-VRC Officers will coordinate efforts in their areas to ensure that
people are registered to vote. 
	2) L-VRC Officers will ensure that volunteers are sought for these efforts
and that these volunteers are educated in process of registering people to
vote.
	3) L-VRC Officers will ensure that voter registration is occurring in the
places best suited to ensuring that the lesbian and gay community is taking
advantage of them.

end.