Subject: ACTION-ALERT: LOUISIANA
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 May 1995 17:38:43 -0400

LOUISIANA ELECTORATE of GAYS AND LESBIANS (LEGAL)
PO Box 70344
New Orleans, LA 70172
(504) 383-8033
Brian Hartig
Statewide Dir, LEGAL

Attention!
Sen Jon Johnson's Hate Crimes Bill (SB 980) should finally be heard Tuesady
(16 MAY) in the Senate Judiciary C Committee after 9:30. The first time it
was heard (2 MAY) the Committee tied in a 3-3 vote, thereby laying the bill
over for another day. The bill was delayed after a scheduled second hearing
because circumstances surrounding the flood in New Orleans. Those who voted
for the bill were Sens. Bajoie, Brinkhaus and Johnson. Those voting aginst
the bill were Sens. Bean, Hines and Hinton. Sen. Hollis was absent from the
vote.

******************************************************************************

WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP

Contact your legislators if they are on the Senate Judiciary C Committee (see
list below). Ask them to vote for Senate Bill 980 which allows for the judge
to increase the penalties levied on an individual found guilty of a
hate-motivated assault. Tell them that 46 other states already have some sort
of Hate Crimes Law and Louisiana is behind in this area. Mississippi and
Texas even have Hate Crimes Laws. We must begin to protect Louisiana's
citizens from a type of assault which targets groups of people through the
use of intimidation and fear aimed at one individual.

******************************************************************************

To contact a senator if his or her line is busy, call (504) 342-2040.

******************************************************************************

SENATE JUDICIARY C COMMITTEE

CHAIRPERSON
Sen Diana Bajoie, D-New Orleans
tel. no: 504-568-7760

VICE CHAIRMAN
Sen. Ron Bean, R-Shreveport
tel. no: 318-676-7906, fax: 318-688-9865

MEMBERS
Sen. Armand Brinkhaus, D-Sunset
tel. no: 318-662-5242, fax: 318-662-5813

Sen. Donald Hines, D-Bunkie
tel. no: 318-346-4619, fax: 318-346-2301

Sen. Gerry Hinton, R-Slidell
tel. no: 504-643-4602, fax: 504-646-6498

Sen. Ken Hollis, R-Metairie
tel. no: 504-838-8979, fax: 504-831-8325

Sen. Jon Johnson, D-New Orleans
tel. no: 504-245-1542, fax: 504-245-1550

end
Attention!
Sen Jon Johnson's Hate Crimes Bill (SB 980) should finally be heard Tuesady
(16 MAY) in the Senate Judiciary C Committee after 9:30. The first time it
was heard (2 MAY) the Committee tied in a 3-3 vote, thereby laying the bill
over for another day. Those who voted for the bill were Sens. Bajoie,
Brinkhaus and Johnson. Those voting aginst the bill were Sens. Bean, Hines
and Hinton. Sen. Hollis was absent from the vote.

******************************************************************************

WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP

Contact your legislators if they are on the Senate Judiciary C Committee (see
list below). Ask them to vote for Senate Bill 980 which allows for the judge
to increase the penalties levied on an individual found guilty of a
hate-motivated assault. Tell them that 46 other states already have some sort
of Hate Crimes Law and Louisiana is behind in this area. Mississippi and
Texas even have Hate Crimes Laws. We must begin to protect Louisiana's
citizens from a type of assault which targets groups of people through the
use of intimidation and fear aimed at one individual.

******************************************************************************

To contact a senator if his or her line is busy, call (504) 342-2040.

******************************************************************************

SENATE JUDICIARY C COMMITTEE

CHAIRPERSON
Sen Diana Bajoie, D-New Orleans
tel. no: 504-568-7760

VICE CHAIRMAN
Sen. Ron Bean, R-Shreveport
tel. no: 318-676-7906, fax: 318-688-9865

MEMBERS
Sen. Armand Brinkhaus, D-Sunset
tel. no: 318-662-5242, fax: 318-662-5813

Sen. Donald Hines, D-Bunkie
tel. no: 318-346-4619, fax: 318-346-2301

Sen. Gerry Hinton, R-Slidell
tel. no: 504-643-4602, fax: 504-646-6498

Sen. Ken Hollis, R-Metairie
tel. no: 504-838-8979, fax: 504-831-8325

Sen. Jon Johnson, D-New Orleans
tel. no: 504-245-1542, fax: 504-245-1550

end