Subject: LA-NEWS: HATE CRIMES TO SENATE FLOOR TOMORROW
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 May 1995 15:44:36 -0400

LOUISIANA ELECTORATE OF GAYS AND LESBIANS (LEGAL)
PO Box 70344
New Orleans, LA 70172
(504) 383-8033
Brian J.P. Hartig
Statewide Director, LEGAL

Attention!
The Hate Crimes Bill (Senate Bill 980) passed out favorably from the Senate 
Judiciary C Committee this morning (16 MAY) and will likely be up for a vote 
on the Senate floor tomorrow (17 MAY).

*****************************************************************

WHAT YOU CAN TO TO HELP:

Contact you senator and ask him or her to VOTE FOR SB 980. Tell your senator 
that he or she supported the bill last year when it was voted on on the floor. 
The vote was 34 - 2.

(The only two senators voting against the bill were Sen. Foster, D-Franklin 
and Sen. Jordan, R-Lafayette. Three senators absent from the vote were Sen. 
Barro, D-Shreveport, Sen. Hines, D-Bunkie, and Sen. Hinton, R-Slidell.)

Tell your senator that 35 states, including our closest neighbors, Mississippi 
and Texas, have Hate Crimes laws similar to the one they are about to vote on. 
SB 980 allows a judge or jury to levy stiffer penalties against individuals 
convicted of committing Hate Crimes.

Hate Crimes are different from other "ordinary" crimes because they are 
utilized in an effort to breed fear and intimidation in large groups of people 
through the action taken against one or a few individuals.

To find out who your senator is, contact your local Registrar of Voters office.

I will try to send a list of senators with their contact information later in 
the day when I am able.

end