Subject: LA Republican Party Gay-Baiting!
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 19:57:23 -0400

****************************************************************************
****************************************************************************

              LOUISIANA ELECTORATE of GAYS AND LESBIANS (LEGAL)
                                PO Box 70344
                         New Orleans, LA 70172-0344
                                504/525-7117
                              [email-masked]
                          
       Louisiana's statewide non-profit for lesbian and gay human rights.

****************************************************************************
****************************************************************************

Friends,

Voters who live in and around the Florida Parishes of Louisiana have been
receiving a mailing from the Louisiana Republican Party that is filled with
lies, distortions and misleading statements aimed at Senator "Sixty" Rayburn.

While Rayburn has never particularly been a friend to the community, it is
important that we take action against this gay-baiting that seems to have
become a part of the Republican Party's agenda.

The flyer, printed with a pink background with white lettering states,
"'Sixty' Rayburn supports Gay Rights ("Gay Rights" is printed here in a very
floral-looking font)..."

On the inside it goes on to state, "Sixty Rayburn voted for Gay Rights
(underlined) 3 times."

Then in a block beneath this it states, "Sixty Rayburn voted to give
Homosexuals (underlined) special rights by voting for: Senate Bill 26 (1993),
Senate Bill 918 (1993) and House Bill 130 (1994).

"After 48 years, Sixty Rayburn has lost touch with the voters."

First of all, friends, those bills mentioned had nothing to do with gay
rights. They were Hate Crimes Bills which provided for increased penalties
against a criminal when that criminal is found guilty of selecting his victim
based upon their status -- those statuses included, age, sex, religion,
nation origin, sexual orientation, etc....

**************************************************************************
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP

We need to come down hard on the Louisiana Republican party, but we also have
to send word to Sen. Rayburn's office that he has lesbian, gay and straight
constituents alike who are abhored at the gay-baiting tactics being used by
the Republicans.

To contact the Republican Party of Louisiana write:
Mike Francis, Chairman
2133 Silverside Dr., Ste B
Baton Rouge, LA 70808
(504) 769-5056

To contact Sen. "Sixty" Rayburn write:
PO Box 44294
Capitol Station
Baton Rouge, LA 70804

To contact the Democratic Party of Louisiana call:
(504) 336-4155

*******************************************************************

WHAT TO SAY
Demand the Democratic Party to rebuke the misleading statements.
Demand the Republican Party to retract the misleading statements.

******************************************************************

A Hate Crimes Bill is a world's difference from a Gay Rights Bill. And even
one of those does not give "special rights."

*******************************************************************

END.