Subject: Don't Toss 'Em - Donate 'Em!
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 08:33:51 EDT

May 22, 2000

Got any back issues of newspapers or magazines junking up your office that 
you don't know what to do with?  Don't toss 'em -- donate 'em to a gay and 
lesbian archives!  There are many large and small archives around the 
country, but because it's unglamorous work, a lot of people may not know they 
even exist.  But they're an important part of our community because they are 
documenting our a history:  a history that most major archives and libraries 
just aren't touching.

The Williams-Nichols Institute, Inc., the 501c(3) corporation that operates 
the Kentucky Gay & Lesbian Library and Archives in Louisville, currently has 
about 7,000 issues (600+ titles) of gay and lesbian publications going back 
to the 1950s.  Besides such pioneering magazines as One, The Ladder, 
Mattachine Review, and Vector, it has a growing collection of such important 
publications as Gay and Gay Community News and early lesbian feminist 
publications like Dyke, Lesbian Connection.  Perhaps the most unusual title 
is Lady-Unique-Inclination-of-the-Night out of New Brunswick, NJ.

When confronted with excess boxes full of forgotten issues, many people will 
simply toss them, but it's a mistake to look on them as landfill.  We'd love 
to take them off your hands for you!

Why not give us an email to find out what our needs are?  Donations are 
tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.

--David Williams, Director