Subject: More on "Hollywood Indian Guide"
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 1999 17:48:38 EDT

Yesterday I received a message concerning a song played on WHKW - Hawk 
Country Music here in Louisville.  Called "Hollywood Indian Guide," it's a 
parody of gays with a lisping character called Man Who Dances With Men.  It 
talks about how easily you can spot "them" in the "bushes" because of the 
"pink snake" that is "as deadly as a diamond back rattler."

The song is actually a comedy routine by Bill Engvall, with music used as a 
background rather than a melody.  It's on Warner Brothers Records.

I talked with WHKW's program manager, Dennis Hill, this afternoon.  He told 
me that he was a little disturbed by the lyrics as well and that the CD isn't 
on its regular daily play list.  He thought it was probably played on the 
morning jock show, which is hosted by John Ramsey and Greg Allen.  Hill says 
Engvall is not a "realy vindictive guy" who's "not generally derogatory with 
his material....I don't think he's being meanspirited."  He added that 
Engvall is "really an outstanding guy."

"I agree, it's a touchy subject," Hill admitted, however.

I haven't heard the song myself so can't really comment, and since Hill says 
it won't be played on a regular basis, I'm not going to sit by the radio for 
a week to wait for it, and I'm not going to go out and buy the CD.  But if 
anyone else has information about the lyrics, pass them along.  Hill may 
think that Engvall is a nice guy, and maybe he is, but in this instance it 
sounds like he's gone over the line.  Sounds to me like it's of the same 
caliber as Eddie Murphy's old AIDS joke stuff or Gallagher's "instant AIDS" 
routine.

David Williams, Louisville