Subject: Second Soldier Charged in Winchell Murder
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 16:04:54 EDT

Forwarded to The Letter - Kentucky's gay, lesbian, bisexual & transgender 
newspaper:  A News Release of the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) and 
Ft. Campbell, Kentucky Public Affairs Office

FORT CAMPBELL, Ky., July 19, 1999 -- Fort Campbell officials charged a second 
soldier in connection with the death of Pfc. Barry L. Winchell, formerly of 
2nd Battalion, 502nd Infantry Regiment.
  Charges were preferred over the weekend against Spec. Justin R. Fisher, 25, 
of 2nd battalion, 502nd Infantry Regiment.  Although Fisher has been formally 
charged, he is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
  Fisher is charged with four offenses.  He allegedly:  (1) participated as a 
principal to premediated murder by encouraging Pvt. Calvin N. Glover to 
strike Winchell; (2) acted as an accessory after the fact; (3) made false 
statements to Army investigators, while under oath, concerning Winchell's 
death; and (4) obstructed the investigation.
  Fisher has been palced in pretrial confinement and is awaiting his own 
Article 32 hearing.  An Article 32 investigating officer will conduct a 
hearing, consider all the evidence presented, and make a recommendation to 
the command as to how to proceed further.
  This Article 32 investigation will be open to the public, including media.  
However, Article 32 investigating officer has not yet set a date for the 
hearing.
  All soldiers who are charged with an offense under the Uniform Code of 
Military Justice (UCMJ) are entitled to free military defense counsel.  
Soldiers may elect to have a civilian lawyer represent them; however, they 
must pay for the civilian counsel themselves.
  Army investigators continue to conduct an aggressive and thorough 
investigation.  All aspects of Winchell's death will be examined and the 
results of this investigation will be made public as appropriate.
  For more information, contact the Public Affairs Officer, Maj. Pamela Hart, 
at (270) 798-3025.

-end-