Subject: Unity Rally in Louisville Sunday, Aug. 8, 3 pm
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 13:53:37 EDT

Forward by The Letter from the Fairness Campaign (Louisville)

UNITY GATHERING RECLAIMS FRANKFORT AVENUE
Organizations Come Together to Say No to Hate in Our Neighborhoods

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (August 7, 1999) -- Over twenty organizations have joined 
together in a call for a Unity Gathering on Frankfort Avenue in reaction to 
the recent appearance of the Ku Klux Klan.  The Gathering will be held in 
front of the Fairness Campaign office at 2263 Frankfort Avenue on Sunday, 
August 8 from 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
  Last weekend, the Klan added their voice to those of protesters who were 
upset by performances of Terrance McNally's play "Corpus Christi" at 
Artswatch on Frankfort Avenue.  "This isn't about whether you approve of that 
play or not.  This is about the Klan and the equal opportunity hate that they 
spread," said Mattie Jones, Justice Resource Center.  This was borne out by 
the Klan's actions last weekend.  The Klan simply used the controversy of the 
gay-themed play as an excuse to attack the African-American and Jewish 
communities in addition to the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered 
community with their hate-filled flyers handed out and left on cars along 
Frankfort Avenue.
  A spokesman for the Klan has told local media that they would be back today 
to protest.
  "We cannot stand by and do nothing," said Diane Moten with Southerners on 
New Ground.  "Anytime the Klan shows its face, good people must stand up and 
say that it is not OK, that we do not stand for what the Klan represents."
  The last time the Klan made an appearance in Louisville was in April of 
1996 when they held a demonstration on the Jefferson County Courthouse steps. 
 Then as now several organizations came together in a Unity Rally to say "Not 
in our town."  The Unity Rally was a peaceful demonstration that focused on 
the shared values of this community:  the belief in justice, equality and 
diversity.
  "This is a time for all good people to come together and take a stand 
against hate," said Carol Kraemer of the Fairness Campaign.  "This shows us 
how important it is to work together as a community in all areas of justice."
  The sponsors of the Unity Gathering include:  ADAPT (Local & National), 
American Civil Liberties Union of Kentucky, Anti-Racist Action, BRAT, 
Community Relations Council of the Jewish Community Federation, Fairness 
Campaign, Fellowship of Reconciliation, First Ward Alderwoman Tina Ward-Pugh, 
Interweave of 1st Unitarian Church, Jeff Street Baptist Community at Liberty, 
Jefferson CO. NOW, Justice Resource Center, Louisville Youth Group, Kentucky 
Alliance Against Racist and Political Repression, Kentucky Youth Advocates, 
National Coalition Building Institute, National Conference for Community & 
Justice, Nurses Professional Organization, Order of Jonathan Daniels, 
Religious Leaders for Fairness and Southerners on New Ground.

###