Subject: ALERT: Homophobic Song Airs on Louisville Station
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 17:57:03 EDT

I received the following email (below) from a good friend of mine here in 
Louisville.  I hope everyone will consider calling or writing the station and 
complaining about this song.  I have not heard the song yet, but I have 
complete faith in what the emailer has told me:  I've known and trusted 
Michael for sixteen years.

Tell the program manager you don't believe in censorship but that the song is 
homophobic, slanderous and stereotypical and that you're surprised a station 
of their quality would indulge in such low-level humor.  Or something like 
that!

Complain to the program manager.  The station is WHKW-FM (Hawk Country Music) 
in Louisville, phone:  502/479-2222.  Their address is 4421 Bishop Lane, 
Louisville, KY  40218.  Their web site is www.whky.com.  They have a way to 
email but I'm not sure if it will go to the program manager.  At any rate, 
here it is:  [email-masked].  Address your email to the program 
manager.

I think this is one thing that each of us can do.  If you're not comfortable 
in complaining over the phone, by all means sit down and write a letter or 
email.

David Williams, Editor
The Letter - Kentucky's gay, lesbian, bisexual & transgender newspaper

Here's the email:

David:
	This afternoon I heard a song on WHKW - Hawk Country Music called 
"Hollywood Indian Guide."  It is a parody of gays with a lisping character 
called Man Who Dances with Men!  It goes on to say that you can easily spot 
"them" in the "bushes" because of the "pink snake" that is "as deadly as a 
diamond back rattler."
	The singer lisps all through the song & to my mind the references to 
bushes and pink snake and deadly are all equating promiscuous gay men in the 
bushes spreading AIDS.
	If you get a chance to hear it, I hope you will notify people on your 
lists to call the station as I have done to complain.  

	Thanks,
Michael Kretman