Subject: Housing Discrimination Against Gay Couples in Louisville Demonstrated
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 14:37:48 EST

From a fax transmitted by the Fairness Campaign Jan. 25, 1999:

HOUSING DISCRIMINATION CAUGHT ON TAPE

LOUISVILLE, Ky.--A hidden camera investigation by WAVE-3 TV has documented
housing disrimination based on sexual orientation.  The special investigative
report will air today on WAVE 3 TV's evening newscast at 6 p.m.

Using scientific methods that are accepted as evidence in courts across the
country, WAVE 3 TV and fair housing advocates conducted discrimination tests
to learn if gay people experience bias in housing.  This same type of testing
is utilized in fair housing cases to prove housing discrimination based on
race and gender.

The evidence gathered from the discrimination testing and aired in today's
report is striking.  Four out of six apartment complexes tested refused to
rent one bedroom apartments to gay couples, while offering to rent the same
apartment to unmarried straight couples.

Should you have questions about housing discrimination testing and
methodology, we encourage you to speak with these fair housing advocates:

Kevin Kijewski, attorney, Kentucky Fair Housing Council, (502)583-3247;
Jan Phillips, Executive Director, Louisville Tenants Association,
(502)587-0290;
Suzy Post, Executive Director, Metropolitan Housing Coalition, (502)584-6858;
or
Stephen Porter, realtor and Kentucky Fair Housing Council board member,
(502)894-9000.

The report provides the compelling evidence needed for members of the Board of
Aldermen to support passage of the housing component of the Fairness
Amendment.  The aldermen are scheduled to vote on the issue at their meeting
on Tuesday, January 26 at 6 p.m.

END