Subject: Discrimination in Jefferson County, Ky. (Louisville Area)
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 08:34:45 EDT

Anti-Gay Discrimination Reported in Jefferson County

from "No More No Less," newsletter of The Louisville (Ky.) Fairness Campaign, 
July 1999.  For more information, call 502/893-0788

A Priority Club Award winner for outstanding customer service, as well as a 
two-time employee of the month, along with his partner of 13 years, were 
forced to quit their jobs at an east-end hotel because of anti-gay harassment 
and unequal treatment.  A blatant case of anti-gay discrimination has been 
reported at the Holiday Inn-Hurstbourne Lane in Louisville.

Joe Black has reported a blatant case of anti-gay discrimination.  Joe, who 
was a waiter at the hotel since 1994, has left his job following months of 
harassment from the Food & Beverage Manager.  Joe's partner of 13 years, Tom 
Lyon, an assistant manager at the same hotel, has also felt compelled to find 
work elsewhere.

The problems began on March 5 at a small gathering in the hotel that Joe had 
arranged for Tom's birthday.  The Food and Beverage Manager, who a few days 
earlier had learned of Joe and Tom's orientation, repeatedly inspected the 
suite where the party was being held.  When finally asked why, he commented 
in front of the guests, "I don't want any queers, drag queens or cross- 
dressers at this party."  This is not only employment discrimination, but 
telling Joe who could be at the party constitutes public accommodations 
discrimination.  Since that night, Joe was repeatedly called "faggot" by the 
F&B Manager, who also started referring to him as "ma'am."

Hoping to keep matters from worsening, Joe did not immediately report the 
situation to hotel management.  However, when the taunts continued and his 
health began to be affected, Joe went to his superiors.  In a meeting in 
mid-April with the Holiday Inn management, the accused denied making any kind 
of derogatory statements.  In a follow-up meeting the next day, however, he 
apologized to Joe.

The harassment did not stop, though, and Joe's shifts were increasingly 
understaffed, thereby increasing his workload.  Tom also began experiencing 
the "cold shoulder" treatment from some fellow managers as well.  Joe once 
again addressed the situation with hotel management and was told that they 
would not fire the F&B manager and "couldn't do anything about" the 
harassment.

With their work environment becoming increasingly frustrating and hostile, 
and their complaints falling on deaf ears, Joe and Tom gave their two-week 
notices in early June.

What makes the Holiday Inn's management's lack of action all the more curious 
is the fact that the behavior of the F&B manager had already directly cost 
the hotel revenue.  A friend of Joe and Tom's, who was attending the party 
and heard the initial remark, canceled several work- related meetings she had 
scheduled at the hotel.  She was sure to write the hotel and specify the 
reason as well.

The hotel is located in Jefferson County, Kentucky, so is not covered by 
Louisville's Fairness Ordinance.  Joe, however, has retained the services of 
a lawyer and is investigating what recourse he may have.  Written inquiries 
from his attorney to both the Hotel management and its owners, Ridgewood 
Properties, have yet to be answered.