Subject: Lexington Fairness Amendment Passes 12-3
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 00:37:27 EDT

FLASH from The Letter - Kentucky's gay, lesbian, bisexual & transgender 
newspaper

Lexington, KY (July 8).  After a campaign and city-wide debate that lasted 
only eighteen days, the Urban/County Government Council in Lexington, 
Kentucky voted 12-3 this evening to approve an amendment to its human rights 
ordinance that prohibits discrimination in employment, housing, public 
accommodations, real estate transfers, and credit on the basis of sexual 
orientation and sexual identity.

Last month, the amendment received early support from the mayor and several 
councilpersons.  Vice Mayor Isabel Yates sponsored the proposal when it was 
brought before the local Human Rights Commission, and after it was introduced 
it was supported by editorials in the Lexington Herald-Leader.

During the evening's debate, several councilpersons voting in favor of the 
ordinance pointed out their own experiences with discrimination in part as 
reasons for their support of the measure.

Opponents' main concern was the swiftness with which the ordinance was 
introduced and the process involved in getting it passed.  They were 
particularly concerned that the language was too broad and offered four 
amendments to narrow the focus.  Main casualty was a section covering gender 
identity which, as originally written, would have been among the most liberal 
in the country.  It was narrowed in tonight's debate to cover only those who 
have undergone sex reassignment surgery.  A religious exemption section was 
also strengthened.

Mayor Pam Miller is expected to sign it into law quickly.

The Lexington ordinance is the most comprehensive in Kentucky.  Louisville's 
ordinance, passed in January, covers employment only.  Louisville proposals 
covering housing and public accommodations remain in committee.  Meanwhile, 
Jefferson County--the jurisdiction outside of Louisville city limits--is 
expected to take up some sort of proposal in August.  Henderson, a small city 
in western Kentucky, will be considering its own version probably in early 
fall.

END