Subject: The Letter's Articles on Lexington Fairness
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 20:45:46 EDT

The Letter (Louisville) - July 1999

Lexington Fairness Amendment Introduced

by David Williams, Editor; additional reporting by Jeff Jones

On June 22, Lexington's Urban County Council voted 13-1 with one abstention 
to hold a public hearing on a Fairness Amendment at its next regular meeting 
July 1 at 7 pm.  A final vote could come as early as July 8 following a 
required second reading.

The decision came after Vice Mayor Isabel Yates introduced the proposal to 
the Lexington/Fayette Human Rights Commission the day before.  It voted 
unanimously, without debate, to recommend passage.  Fairness activist Jeff 
Jones, a member of the commission, responded after the vote with a simple 
"Thank you."

The proposal would amend Lexington's existing human rights ordinance to 
include the categories of "sexual orientation" and "gender identity."  
Specific language has yet to be finalized, but organizers expect that the 
proposal will be modeled after the Fairness ordinance passed by Louisville's 
board of aldermen in January.  But unlike that law, which covers employment 
discrimination only, the Lexington proposal would also prohibit 
discrimination in housing and public accommodations, making it the most 
comprehensive in the state.

Exemptions would include religious organizations operating a service solely 
for their membership; businesses employing seven or fewer people; and 
landlords renting three or fewer units.  Churches, synagogues and other 
houses of worship are not considered public accommodations and would be 
exempt.

Early support, besides Yates', has come from several councilmembers as well 
as Mayor Pam Miller, who says she supports it as written.  That's in stark 
contrast to former Louisville mayor Jerry Abramson, whose eleven-year silence 
contributed to Louisville's drawn-out struggle.  The city's Fairness 
Amendment passed only after he left office last December.

Another sign of optimism comes from an unlikely corner.  Local attorney Gayle 
Slaughter, who was active in fighting the Louisville measure, told the 
Lexington Herald-Leader that while she opposes the bill, she's not planning 
to work against it because she expects it to pass.

But opposition from other circles is guaranteed.  Kent Ostrander, executive 
director of the Family Foundation in Lexington, is attempting to 
re-characterize the measure as "special rights" legislation.  Local 
fundamentalist ministers are also expected to raise objections based on their 
religious beliefs and moral codes.

The history behind the amendment goes as far back as at least 1993 when a 
group of concerned Lexingtonians affiliated with the Gay and Lesbian Services 
Organization (GLSO), the city's oldest gay group, met with William Wharton, 
Director of the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Human Rights Commission, to 
discuss anti-gay discrimination in the Bluegrass capital.  As a result of 
that meeting, the commission began documenting reports of sexual orientation 
discrimination, and GLSO inaugurated an independent Documentation Project to 
collect data.

Since then, the Lexington Fairness Campaign has sought to educate local 
governmental officials regarding GLBT issues.  Passage of the Louisville 
Fairness ordinance and statewide hate crimes bill, along with the drive to 
introduce a Fairness amendment in Henderson and a bill in the state 
legislature, gave impetus to the Lexington campaign.  Efforts to introduce a 
measure began the day after Louisville's Fairness Amendment was passed 
January 26.

In the early 1960s, Lexington was the first city in the South to pass a civil 
rights law.  The presence of the University of Kentucky has helped temper the 
kind of social conservatism found throughout much of the rest of the state.

**********

How to Help the Lexington Effort

How can you help win passage of a Fairness ordinance in Lexington?

(1) write a letter to the editor of the Herald-Leader (250 words or less), 
100 Midland Ave., Lexington, KY 40508, fax: 606/255-7236, email:  
[email-masked].

(2) Donate whatever you can to the Lexington Fairness Campaign.  The drive 
for fairness doesn't come cheap.  Give as much as you can.  And volunteer!

(3)  Email your name as a local supporter of this recommendation by sending 
your name, address, and a line that you support this recommendation to 
[email-masked] (web site: http://www.fairness99.org).

(4) Contact the mayor, the three at-large council members, and your own 
district's council member with letters or calls expressing your support.  
Phone is 606/258-3200.  Indicate you want to leave a message for your council 
person and they will transfer you to voice mail.  In your message, mention 
you live in that council person's district.  Fax is 606/258-3838.  You can 
also email them via this website:  http://www.lfucg.com/counmap.htm.  Please 
keep your messages brief and polite.

(5) Show your support by cheering on the gay contingent at the Independence 
Day Parade July 3 starting at 2 pm.

**********

Where Will the Lexington Vote Take Place?

The Lexington/Fayette Urban County Council meets regularly on the second 
floor of the Urban County Government Building, 200 E. Main St. near 
Limestone.  Arrive early!

**********

Lexington Gays to Join in Independence Day Parade

The Lexington gay and lesbian community is expected to turn out in droves for 
the city's annual Independence Day Parade, which starts at 2 pm.  Fairness, 
GLSO, the Imperial Court, and the Lexington Men's Chorus will all be marching 
together.  Lineup begins at noon in front of the Herald-Leader Building, 100 
Midland Ave.  If you can't march, be sure to show up and cheer the contingent 
on as its passes through downtown Lexington.