Subject: FLASH -- Kentucky Vote Postponed
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 23:43:05 EDT

JEFFERSON COUNTY JUDGE POSTPONES FAIRNESS VOTE

from The Letter - Kentucky's gay, lesbian, bisexual & transgender newspaper

Using a parliamentary maneuver, Jefferson County (Ky.) Judge/Executive 
Rebecca Jackson has pulled for at least two weeks consideration of an 
ordinance that would extend civil rights protections based on sexual 
orientation in the areas of employment, housing, and public accommodations.  
The vote was originally scheduled for the regular biweekly meeting of Fiscal 
Court, the county's governing body, on Tuesday, Sept. 28.
  Jackson, a socially conservative Republican and Southern Baptist, has been 
a consistent opponent of the measure, known as the Fairness proposal.  She is 
a member of Highview Baptist Church, which has often worked to oppose civil 
rights for gays and lesbians.  Rev. Al Mohler, president of the Southern 
Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville and a national religious right 
leader, is also a member.
  The measure has the active support of the three Democratic county 
commissioners and is expected to pass easily once it's introduced.

###