Subject: Henderson, Kentucky Passes Fairness Ordinance Sept. 28
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 09:21:46 EDT

Exclusive from The Letter - Kentucky's gay, lesbian, bisexual & transgender 
newspaper

HENDERSON, KENTUCKY PASSES FAIRNESS PROPOSAL

[Sept. 29.]  Just before 1 am this morning, the Henderson, Kentucky City 
Commission voted in a Fairness ordinance.  The vote was as expected:  3-2, 
with no surprises.

An observer on the ground says he was impressed with the anger, fear, and 
intensity of the opposition statements.  "At times the 'church folks,' in the 
name of being 'christian,' were downright mean-sprited, rude, loud, and 
personally cruel to the commissioners, the mayor, and the supporters," he 
reports.  On the other hand, "There were no angry or rude remarks by the 
supporters."

The opposition presented no new angles, he says, but one man in a self-styled 
military uniform was particularly frightening.  He ended his brief remarks by 
shouting, "God bless everybody here, and you queers too."  A more moving 
moment came when a minister/counselor rose to speak in favor of the measure.  
"I was surprised to see him there, and very surprised to hear his supporting 
comments.  It did represent a real sea-change for this man."

###