Subject: Attacks on Newspaper Continue
From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 13:13:40 EST

From The Letter
February 15, 1999

Anti-Gay Activist Continues to Attack Paper on Pedophile Charge

Dr. Frank Simon, Kentucky's leading anti-gay activist, continued to attack The
Letter, a Louisville-based GLBT newspaper, on his weekly television program
February 14, charging that the paper is allowing personals ads from adults
seeking sex with children under the legal age of consent.

The attack is a continuation of a campaign against the paper that dates back
to at least September 1996, when he made the charges on a local call-in talk
show while the paper's editor, David Williams, was sitting next to him.

Three of the four ads Simon quotes clearly show that the individuals placing
the ads were seeking others aged eighteen or over.  The fourth is from an
adult woman looking for a "baby dyke," a lesbian slang term for a young female
adult.  Simon claims it's from a woman seeking sex with an under-age child.

Before last month, Simon consistently skipped over the age requirements when
reading the ads on his show.  Only once--on his January 31, 1999 show--did he
read an age requirement of "eighteen plus" on the air as the ad was being
shown on camera.  In that instance, he quickly asserted that the ad "would
apply just as well to somebody that was under 18," despite the fact the ad
clearly stated otherwise.

The Letter has filed a lawsuit against Dr. Frank Simon and others, alleging
copyright infringement and libel.  Statements made in this news article
therefore reflect one side of the story only; a final determination of facts
and guilt must be made in a court of law.

END