Subject: Protesters Picket Presbyterian Headquarters
From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 20:53:16 -0500 (EST)

From The Letter - Kentucky's gay and lesbian newspaper (April 1997)

GAY AND LESBIAN PRESBYTERIANS PROTEST AT HEADQUARTERS

A small group of gay and lesbian Presbyterians and supporters stood outside
the headquarters of the Presbyterian Church USA in Louisville on March 21 to
protest approval of a church amendment that bars non-celibate gays, lesbians,
and heterosexuals from ordination.

"The time for queers to get off their butts and mobilize is now," noted Jim
Oxyer, a gay employee of the church.  "There can be no more sitting on the
fence."

One person directly affected by the vote is Rev. Howard Warren of
Indianapolis, leader of the protest, who is gay.  "I'm chaste," he said, "but
how would they know that?"  He mentioned two cases of suspected non-chastity
brought before a church court recently.  Both were eventually dismissed.

 "This amendment deals with only one of the seven deadly sins," he noted.
 "Already we have a woman who's asking if they're going to bar her from the
ministry because of the sin of gluttony.  Why aren't they concerned about
that?"

Warren said that there is already talk of an intra-church lawsuit on that
very point.  Such a suit couldn't be filed until after the June meeting of
the General Assembly, when the chastity amendment will be formally accepted
as part of the church's Book of Order, or constitution.

Regardless of what happens in the coming months, he believes many ministers,
both gay and straight, may begin leaving the church altogether.  Most likely
destination:  the United Church of Christ, which accepts gays for ordination.
 Both churches have common roots and similar theologies, differing mainly in
their organizational structures.

END