Subject: Good Letter
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 09:15:30 -0400 (EDT) [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]

Louisville Courier-Journal
April 17, 1997

OVERCOMING OUR BIASES

  Racism, sexism, classism and homophobia within many communities of
faith--and the accomanying resurgence of white supremacy movements and
right-wing political religious extremists--point to the critical necessity
for good religious people to wake up and learn about the interconnectedness
of oppression.
  Betty Winston Baye's excellent column, "Facing one's own anti-gay bias,"
expresses the honesty and courage that is needed in times such as these.
 Marginalized people everywhere must joint together to overcome the blatant
emotional, spiritual, physical and economic violence being waged upon women,
immigrants, people of color, lesbians and gay men, and the poor.
  And yes, religious leaders should be helping our faith communities
understand thet the radical right's "divide and conquer" strategies have no
moral integrity.  If we try to save our own lives at the expense of others,
then we all shall perish.

The Rev. J. Bennett Guess
Pastor, Zion United Church of Christ
Henderson, KY  42420

END