Subject: Another Democrat Caves into Conservative Agenda
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 23:08:43 -0400

MIKE WARD SAYS HE'S "NOT PREPARED TO SUPPORT ENDA AT THIS TIME"

by David Williams, Editor
The Letter - Kentucky's #1 gay and lesbian newspaper

(Louisville, Ky.  Aug. 13, 1996)  Speaking before a tense and sometimes
hostile crowd of gays and lesbians and their supporters at Louisville
Fairness Campaign offices this evening, Kentucky's 3rd District Congressman
Mike Ward revealed that he is "not prepared to support ENDA at this time."

ENDA is a proposal now before Congress that would amend current federal civil
rights laws to protect US citizens against discrimination in employment based
on sexual orientation.  Similar measures have been introduced every session
for nearly two decades.

Ward, considered a liberal by Kentucky standards, was invited by Fairness
leaders to discuss his vote in favor of the so-called "Defense of Marriage
Act" (DOMA), which would ban recognition of same-gender marriages, and his
support of a new welfare reform package.

The first-term congressman said that the Human Rights Campaign had advised
him "not to fall on his sword" because the measure would be declared
unconstitutional, anyway.  Even after admitting that it was a "bad bill" and
an unnecessary intrusion, however, he reaffirmed he would probably vote the
same way if the issue was brought up again.

Instead of DOMA, he suggested small incremental steps of an unspecified
nature.  Many members of the audience countered angrily that such steps would
never be completed in their lifetimes.

Another issue discussed at length was Ward's crucial support of a local
aldermanic candidate whose views on a proposed citywide gay civil rights law
are unknown, over another candidate who publicly supported it.  Tina
Ward-Pugh, the losing candidate, was in the room and engaged Ward in a
vigorous verbal scuffle.

Ward, one of the few Democrats to win a seat in Congress in the 1994
"Republican Revolution," was popular in the local gay and lesbian community
because of his statement during the campaign that he would not vote for any
law that would have hurt his brother.  A younger gay brother, Alexander, died
of AIDS in 1992.

Towards the end of the long evening, several members of the audience pressed
Ward for reasons why gays and lesbians should vote for him in November.  He
answered that two votes out of the thousand he's cast shouldn't be held
against him.  But his main argument was that if his Republican opponent, Ann
Northup, a social conservative, were elected, she would vote for Newt
Gingrich for Speaker of the House in January, while he would not.

Ward faces a tough race against Northup in November.  The National Republican
Party has targeted Ward for defeat, and so far Northup's campaign funds
outstrip his.

Kentucky's third congressional district encompasses the city of Louisville
and most of its inner suburbs.

###