Subject: Fwd: Gay Bashing at a Small Kentucky College
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 29 Feb 1996 19:23:09 -0500

---------------------
Forwarded message:
From:	[email-masked] (PATTI C SWARTZ)
Date: 96-02-29 15:36:12 EST

I was appalled to learn today that a young lesbian student here at
Morehead State was attacked by three men, had her shirt ripped off, and
was beaten in the face approximately two weeks ago as she was returning
from the computer lab to her dorm room.  The men wore ski masks and heavy
coats to make identification possible, and they told her something like,
"That will teach you, you lesbian bitch."
I heard of this second hand, and I was astonished that although a police
report had been made that the administration here at Morehead State had
not made a statement about this homophobic gay bashing.  Silence makes
the offenders think that they can try again.  Perhaps the next victim
will be dead.  Is it possible that such an incident can occur and the
student newspaper says nothing to censor such acts, nor does the
administration make a statement?????

I have even graver concerns about the cancellation of the English 397E
class in lesbian, gay, and bi-sexual literature that was to appear on the
schedule in the fall, but was cancelled for budgetary reasons.  In a
social and political climate in which gay-bashing can occur, it seems to
me to be irresponsible not to offer classes in which education may defuse
and possibly eliminate the homophobia that appears to be all too present
in our environment.  While I do not expect that this class will be
offered, I do hope that the administration will take some action and at
least make a statement that homophobic hate acts and bashing will not occur.

I am especially distressed in this situation, for I know this young woman
well.  She is a fine student, one who has been a student in my classes,
and a human being who interacts with others with integrity.  It is a
crime that such an action could occur on this campus, and appalling that
such an action should go unremarked by the administration.  As an out
lesbian concerned with the education and well being of all students
including gay, lesbian, and bi-sexual students, I
cannot not help but protest this silence on the part of the
adminsitration.  I can only hope that you were not aware of these
circumstances, and that knowledge of them will cause you to issue a
statement and to attempt to find and punish the perpetrators of this
action.

Thank you,

Patti Swartz, Instructor in English