Subject: Gay Lover Listed as "Brother"
From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 1995 17:11:19 -0500

(For further information, contact [email-masked].  Please notify if the
following is reprinted in your publication)

SURVIVING GAY LOVER LISTED AS "BROTHER"

In yet another twist to the continuing problems faced by gay men who lose a
lover to AIDS or other diseases, the family of Norman Nichols of Louisville
reported his lover, David Williams, as a brother in Mr. Nichols' obituary on
January 22 rather than as "friend" or "companion," as is customary with the
major local daily newspaper, the Louisville Courier-Journal.

The family also refused to list the cause of death as AIDS, as per Nichols'
previously stated request, but the latter point was moot because the
Courier-Journal seldom lists cause of death for anyone.

Nichols died of complications due to AIDS on January 21.

"Norman and I always considered ourselves to be twin souls," said Williams.
 "But I didn't know just how incestuous a relationship it was until now!" he
quipped.

Williams had been power of attorney for Nichols and was named executor of his
estate on January 31.  But between the time of Nichols' death and the time
his will was probated, Williams had no legal standing under Kentucky law.
 Williams' power of attorney ceased with Nichols' death.

Nichols' obituary points up the continued problems faced by the surviving
spouse in gay relationships, but Williams, a gay activist in Louisville, sees
no remedy forthcoming from any legislative body in Kentucky.  He may,
however, have the last laugh:  because Nichols willed nearly everything to
his lover, including the cemetery plot, Williams has final control over what
goes on the tombstone.