Subject: Bumperstickers: Republicans Reply
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 20:03:15 -0500

I received the following letter today from the National Federation of
Republican Women concerning the objectionable bumperstickers sold at their
recent convention in Albuquerque.

**********

October 30, 1995

David Williams
PO Box 4264
Louisville, KY  40204

Dear David,

Thank you for your letter concerning the objectionable bumper stickers which
were sold at the 28th biennial convention of the National Federation of
Republican Women (NFRW) in Albuquerque, New Mexico in September.

Please know that the NFRW did not sell these bumper stickers or endorse the
slogans that were displayed.  However, they were sold by one of our many
exhibitors.  When it was brought to our attention by the New Mexico host
committee exhibit chairman on Saturday afternoon, I asked the vendor to
remove the objectionable bumper stickers and she immediately complied.  It
was a well learned lesson and will result in stricter control over materials
sold/displayed by exhibitors in the future.  We are sorry that this incident
occurred and would never knowingly do anything to mar the image of the NFRW
of the Republican Party.

The NFRW is a strong and vibrant educational organization with 113,000
members in more than 2,000 clubs across the nation.  Founded in 1938, we work
to elect Republicans to office at all levels of government.  We share your
concerns and want you to know that the messages displayed on the bumper
stickers in question absolutely do not reflect the attitudes of our thousands
of dedicated members.

Sincerely,

Jewell Duvall
Convention Coordinator