From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 93 00:20:54 EST

================================
>From The Manhattan Mercury
August 29, 1993 - Editorial Page
Reprinted With Permission
================================

A LOCAL ALLIANCE IN SEARCH OF TOLERANCE

In March, the organization had six members. Today, there are 25 who pay dues
to the Flint Hills Alliance, Inc.. Percentage-wise that would be quite an
increase in any group.  For a support organization of the area's gay men and
women, the growth tells much of the story: The often-persecuted need to
gather with the like-minded to share ideas and information, and to celebrate
who they are - away from the prejudices of the bigoted and the misguided. The
numbers are greater than many would think.
     In the shadows of the Flint Hills, 50 miles from where Fred Phelps
preaches his homophobia, a less conspicuous brand of intolerance raises its
head now and then - in letters to the editor, in public pronouncements and,
most often, in acts of immaturity, such as shunning a coffee shop because
gays might mingle there, or yelling "faggot" outside an Aggieville nightspot.
     Kevyn Jacobs, one of the Alliance's founders, says in the past four
years here he's seen much improvement in the acceptance level.  But much more
needs to be done in a place in which change comes slowly and in which certain
people's prejudices die hard.
     The Alliance, like the BAGALS group on the K-State campus, is not just
for gays.  However, it is primarily aimed for the gays in the non-student
community.  Housed out of an office at University for Man, The Alliance will
hold meetings and discussion sessions, bring in guest speakers and provide
information on topics ranging from housing discrimination to HIV testing to
gay-oriented bars and clubs in the Topeka/Kansas City metropolitan areas. 
Such a public gathering place should exist in Manhattan, and Mr.Jacobs thinks
its viable.  But he cautions that the owner would be taking a big risk - and
some homophobes would be sure to try to disrupt business at first.  Nothing
of value, however, was ever gained without first taking some sort of risk.
     One of the Alliance's most important functions is operating a hotline to
help those with troubles or in need of a friendly voice.  Like the phone
crisis center, The Alliance might assist people in getting help they need to
live better, more self-accepting lives.
     As is to be expected, jerks and religious zealots have already called
the hotline, showing their cowardliness by yelling into a phone.  The
intolerant have no decency.
     Decency has not been at the heart of the increasing level of discourse
about gays in this country this past year.  The don't-ask, don't-tell
compromise in the military will not do much to further understanding and
tolerance.
Hope, one of the two best four-letter words, exists that it's a step in the
right direction.  Let's hope it's a move toward creating a society in which a
person will be judged by character and not by sexual orientation.
     A country has to be a little bit skewed when that other great
four-letter word - love - is viewed by many as repugnant when it comes
between members of the same sex. The Flint Hills Alliance might be able to
teach each of its members about love and tolerance.  Words we should all
learn to live by.