Subject: KC COMM COLL ADVOCATE: LOUGANIS DISHONEST & DECEPTIVE

From: Kevyn Jacobs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 16:19:41 -0500 (CDT)

FROM THE KANSAS CITY COMMUNITY COLLEGE ADVOCATE
KANSAS CITY COMMUNITY COLLEGE   -    KC, KANSAS
MARCH 31, 1995
===============================================

OLYMPIC ATHELETE REVEALS HIS DEADLY DECEPTION

BY KIM MCNEMEE
Editorial Page Editor

 Earlier this month Olympic diving champion, Greg Louganis acknowledged
his homosexuality and confessed to willfully withholding information
regarding his positive HIV diagnosis from doctors at the 1988 games in
Souel, South Korea. Though teammates had gr own suspicious about his
sexual orientation the fact that Louganis had become infected with the
Aids 'virus was a carefully guarded secret.

While Louganis admits that neglecting to disclose such information was
irresponsible, he claims he did so only Out of a desire to spare team
doctors from having to conceal such a difficult secret. What a noble
gesture. Louganis almost makes his deception seem admirable. Yet,
louganis's feeble attempt to justify his actions is compounded by his
revelation that coach, Ron O'Brien also knew of his HIV status and was
reluctant in reporting it.

Such subterfuge raises several questions. First, will HIV testing become
mandatory for future Olympic athletes? Second, will athletes testing
positive be barred from competition and if so how will Olympic officials
explain such an act of open discriminati on? Last, how many other athletes
have knowingly exposed other competitors to this virus?  With the
occurrence of such clandestine operations is it any wonder there are so
many homophobic heterosexuals?

======================================
KANSAS CITY KANSAS COMM COLL  ADVOCATE
7250 State Ave., Kansas City KS  66112
RM 3450  Bldg B  (913) 334.1100 X 229