Subject: (USA, KANSAS & MISSOURI) Civil Rights Summit to Address Sexual, Orientation
From: Kevyn Jacobs <[email-masked]>
To: "Kansas Queer News [KQN]" <[email-masked]>
Cc: GLB-NEWS <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 1995 19:00:46 -0500 (CDT)

FROM THE NEWS-TELEGRAPH
JULY 28 - AUGUST 10, 1995
=========================

CIVIL RIGHTS SUMMIT TO ADDRESS SEXUAL ORIENTATION

KANSAS CITY - Organizers of the second annual Civil Rights Summit have
included in the four-day event discussions on Lesbian and Gay rights.

The summit was convened by the US Department of Housing and Urban
Development and the Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity. Those
who attend the summit, scheduled for September 5-9 at the Kansas City
Marriott Downtown Hotel, will examine the state
 of civil rights in Missouri, Kansas, Iowa and Nebraska.

Included in the more than thirty workshops is a forum on "Including Sexual
Orientation in the Dialogue about Discrimination." Other workshops will
address insurance costs, affordable housing, neighborhood revitalization,
sexual harassment in education and
 employment, under-representation of females and minorities in math and
science programs, health care access, police and community relations,
fostering unity in the civil rights network and complying with the
Americans With Disabilities Act.

Coinciding with the summit are three town hall meetings. The September 5
meeting at the hotel is on Welfare Reform. On September 6, the subject is
"Empowerment Through The Vote" and on September 7, "Affirmative Action
Debate."

Speakers at the summit include Kansas City, Missouri Mayor Emanuel Cleaver
and Kansas City, Kansas Mayor Carol Marinovich, Carey Lobel of the
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force and representatives from HUD, FHEO,
universities and colleges in Missouri and
 E~nsas and other state institutions.

The summit was organized by HUD, FHEO, US Commission on Civil Rights and
US Education, Health and Human Services, Labor, Justice and Agriculture
departments.

For additional information on the summit, call +1.913.551.6958.

==========================================================
Permission granted by the News-Telegraph for distribution
to the KQN email list ([email-masked]), and archiving in
the Queer Resources Directory (QRD) on the Internet
(http://www.qrd.org/qrd). For News-Telegraph subscription
information (published twice a month), please call
1.816.561.6266, or email: [email-masked]
==========================================================