Subject: EKS Lobbyist Testifies
From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 94 19:10:03 EST

Equality Kansas Lobbyist Testifies in Opposition to Initiative and
Referendum

Topeka, KS (=KS) Gay activist and lobbyist for Equality Kansas
Scott Curry testified Febuary 22 before the Kansas State House of
Representatives Federal & State Affairs Committee in opposition to
Governor Finney's Initiative and Referendum Legislation.  The main
reason given for opposition is the alarming trend of religious
right-wing organizations using referendum initiatives to attempt to
take away the fundamental constitutional rights of minority
citizens, especially gays and lesbians.

In more than 10 states referendum initiatives have been attempted
which in some way limit the constitutional rights of gays and
lesbians.  In Colorado such a referendum was passed after an
expensive campaign of hate and intolerance only to be overturned by
an equally expensive court battle.

In his speech, Curry summed up the Amendment 2 initiative in
Colorado with, "As with many media political campaigns of late, 
much of the information disseminated was stereotypical, hysterical,
and simply untrue.  There were no mandatory forums held whereby the
populace could gain access to the information necessary to form an
informed, educated decision on the issue. The battle was waged
through the media, and those with the most money won. Terms
were redefined.  Equal Rights, which supposedly belong to everyone
in our country, were relabeled `special rights,' at least when they
related to gay men and lesbian women."

Kathy Greenlee, Co-Chair of Equality Kansas a broad-based action
group formed to oppose a Kansas resolution similar to Colorado's
Amendment 2, expressed concern about the possibility of initiative
referendums coming to the state.
"Initiative and referendum laws sound wonderful," says Greenlee,
"However, they're not always so wonderful in practice. What sounds
like direct democracy can actually turn into tyranny. Through the
initiative and referendum process, members of the religious right
were able to get constitutional amendments placed on the ballot in
the states of Oregon and Colorado. As a result, citizens of those
states were able to vote on issues which involve the civil rights
of their lesbian, gay, and bisexual neighbors. We should not
support laws," Greenlee warns, "which enable vocal, well-financed,
organized minorities like the religious right to codify 
discrimination against any group with whom they disagree."

A complete transcript of Scott Curry's speech will be sent upon
request.  For more information contact: Equality Kansas; Post
Office Box 116; Topeka, KS 66601-0116; 316-269-0913 Voice;
316-269-4208 Fax.