From: [email-masked] Thu Sep 29 18:52:56 1994
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 1994 17:43:18 -0500 (CDT)

N E W S   R E L E A S E

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE                        CONTACT:  Rex Rivers 316-269-0913

                EQUALITY KANSAS REMAINS WATCHDOG OF LEGISLATURE

Emporia, KS -- (=KS) The Equality Kansas board of directors met in Emporia to
discuss its plans for the 1994/95 legislative session.  Equality Kansas board
member Kathy Greenlee stepped down from her role as chairperson and was
replaced by Doug Glaze.  Greenlee will continue her work on the Equality
Kansas board with less demanding duties.

"I look forward to helping Equality Kansas grow," Doug Glaze said about his
new office.  "This is a critical time for Kansas' lesbian and gay communities."

Despite rampant rumors that the group might disband, very little time was
spent discussing it as an option.  All board members agreed that the threats
to gay and lesbian Kansans from the religious right wing would not disappear
with the defeat of the Cornfield Resolution.  Equality Kansas will remain the
watchdog of the legislature.  To these ends, the group is making plans for
funding a paid lobbyist and provide a general membership meeting in January
with a forecast of the legislative session.

"Our renewed pledge to watchdog legislation shows the level of commitment the
Equality Kansas board has to the gay and lesbian community in Kansas," said
Rex Rivers, a member of the board.  "As the only group to successfully defeat
the religious right wing in the state, we have a reputation to uphold and we
will definitely follow through with the promises we have made to our members."

Steps will be taken to avoid future rumor mills generated by electronic mail.
While the e-mail lists will still be used to distribute information about
Equality Kansas, internal discussions will be limited to board and membership
meetings.

For more information contact:  Rex Rivers, media relations; Equality Kansas;
Post Office Box 116; Topeka, KS 66601-0116; 316-269-0913 Voice; 316-269-4208
Fax; email [email-masked].

                                   -= END =-