Subject: COMMON GROUND NEWSLETTER (LONG!)

From: Kevyn Jacobs <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 12:54:48 -0600 (CST)

COMMON GROUND
The official newsletter of Equality Kansas.
February 1995                            No. 4
==============================================

KANSAS HOUSE BILL TARGETS YOUTH: REPLACES HIV
PREVENTION EDUCATION WITH SODOMY LAW

A shame-based sex education bill has been introduced in the
Kansas House of Representatives that replaces HIV prevention
information directed at Gay teens with a recitation of the Kansas
criminal sodomy law.

House Bill 2301 requires school districts to instruct their
students during the course of HIV prevention presentations "of
the circumstances under which it is unlawful for a person to
engage in sexual acts with another person pursuant to the
statutory provisions contained in article 35 of chapter 21 of
Kansas Statutes Annotated." Kansas Statute 21-3505 is the
criminal sodomy law, which makes sex "between persons who are 16
or more years of age and members of the same sex" a criminal
offense.

While the bill does not exclusively specify that HIV prevention
information targeted directly to Gay teens would be prohibited,
the realities of the educational system in Kansas almost
certainly guarantee that such information - already a rarity -
would never reach those most at risk for HIV infection.

"As a life-long Kansan who was infected with HIV during high
school, I can tell you first-hand that most Gay teens don't
receive the specific information they need to keep form becoming
infected," said Doug Glaze, Equality Kansas Chair. "Most Kansas
schools are already so frightened of offending anyone with their
sex education programs that they don't allow the work "condom" to
be used, much less discuss frankly with a Gay teen what he must
do to stay alive. HB 2301 can only worsen this already-bad
situation. The Kansas House would be writing gay teens off if
they pass this bill."

Proponents of the bill state that their sole aim is to encourage
abstinence among young people by instructing school sex education
programs to stress its effectiveness. "This ignores the fact that
abstinence is already stressed in ALL school sex education
programs, said Glaze, "and other preventative information, which
is desperately needed, is difficult to obtain for those who need
it most." In addition, HB 2301's sponsors are almost identical to
those legislators who proposed last year's anti-Gay resolution.

The bill additionally instructs schools to inform students that
"abstinence from sexual activity outside of marriage is the
expected standard," and "that the best way to avoid sexually
transmitted diseases . . . is to establish a mutually faithful
monogamous relationship in the context of marriage." "This bill
implies that marriage automatically makes one safe from HIV
infection, which is blatantly false, " said Sue Ledbetter,
Legislative Action Co-Chair for Equality Kansas. "That's a
dangerous message to send teens who are overwhelmingly likely to
be sexually active before they marry, and it excludes Gay people
who cannot marry." Ledbetter went on to comment, "The whole idea
of legislators dictating to our educators what they can and
cannot teach is dangerous . . . at the very least they should
investigate what effects this bill would have upon programs
designed to reduce teen pregnancy and HIV infection among our
young people - they haven't done that."

Ledbetter is not optimistic about chances of stopping the bill
from passing the House. "Once the bill gets out of (the
Education) committee, they most likely have the votes to pass
it," she said.

Equality Kansas strongly urges its members and supporters to
contact their legislators, especially their state Senators, and
ask them to reject this measure should it come before them for a
vote.
================================

================================
EQUALITY KANSAS
Board of Directors

CHAIR  Doug Glaze - Topeka (Contact person for Equality Kansas at
913-354-4714)

TREASURER  Kathryn Minick - Wichita

SECRETARY  Pat O'Brien - Kansas City

OUTREACH  Dennis Dobson - Topeka

LEGISLATIVE ACTION - Carla Dugger - Kansas City
                                   Sue Ledbetter - Wichita

MEDIA ACTION - Phyllis Wisneski & Rex Rivers - Wichita

FAMILY & FRIENDS - Beverly Fiedler-Wichita
                                Beverly Barbo - Lindsborg

MEMBERS -  Chris Pouppirt - Hays
                   Kathy Greenlee - Lawrence
================================================

================================================
FROM MY CHAIR

by Doug Glaze
Chair of Equality Kansas

WE'RE BACK!  I have received a few phone calls recently from people
concerned that they have not heard from us in awhile. Equality Kansas
has always dedicated itself to monitoring direct legislative action.
This mission necessarily limits the scope of our activities when the
legislature is not in session.

This does not mean that EKS becomes inactive when the legislators go
home in May. It does mean, though that the nature of our activities
changes. Over this last legislative break we have worked hard to keep
you informed via the internet and independent publications about issues
that are likely to emerge in this session. So while you may not have
heard from us as often as last year, I hope most of you have heard form
us at least once through those methods. If not, please contact us as to
how we can more effectively communicate with you during the upcoming
legislative break.

Now that the 1995 legislature has convened, it's time to get down to
the nitty-gritty. The House has started things off with a particularly
homophobic education bill that directly targets Lesbian and Gay youth.
(See article on HB 2301 front page). I cannot stress to you strongly
enough the importance of contacting you-r state Senator and urging him
or her to reject this measure should it come before them for a vote. In
the meantime, we will be working with other groups opposed to the
measure in an effort to see that it does not become law.

I must warn you though, that we face an uphill battle this year. HB
2301 will not be the last measure aimed at Lesbian and Gay Kansans, nor
is it likely to be the worst. We also must face the fact that the
resources we have to fight such measures are limited. For these
reasons, we will restrict our mailings to those measures which we
estimate to be the most damaging. This means that there may be
intervals during the upcoming legislative year where you will not hear
from us as often as in the past. As I've told callers: No news from us
this session is probably good news. (Editor's Note: you also might stay
in contact with the Equality Kansas Board member in your area to get
updates on HB 2301 and other bills - call Doug at (913) 354-4714 to
find out how).

We'll continue to work hard to keep you informed on developments in our
Capitol. Please see the "recruitment form" for new board members
elsewhere in this issue and think about joining us to provide
leadership to our communications and advocacy link for
Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual Kansans and their allies.  Thank you for your
support of Equality Kansas.
======================================================

====================================
RESOURCES FOR ADVOCACY IN KANSAS

KANSAS STATE LIBRARY, Room 343-N, (913) 296-3296

During session, operates HOT LINE (I -800-432-3296) which gives the
current status of any bill, committee meeting agenda information, as
well as voting records. Call on Fridays of each week to determine what
bills have hearings the following week.

SECRETARY OF STATE'S OFFICE - (913) 296-2236

"Directory of Legislative Lobbyists" (Handbook on requirements for
lobbyists also available)

"Legislative Directory." including home and business addresses and
phone numbers of all members.

LEGISLATIVE DOCUMENT ROOM- 145-N, State Capitol, (913) 296-4096

"Subject Index Report" - published every Friday during the session,
includes status of all bills introduced. Will mail up to 10 copies of a
bill for free. (You will need the bill number to make a request).

LEGISLATIVE RESEARCH DEPARTMENT - 545-N, State Capitol, (913) 296-3181

Prepares annual "Summary of Legislation" (free) Writes interim
committee reports. Answers questions from the public on specific bills.

All legislators can be written c/o State Capitol, Topeka, KS 66612. The
Senate and House Switchboard number to call any Senator or
Representative during the session is (913) 296-0111.
=====================================================

===================================
COMMON GROUND

Common Ground is published by Equality Kansas and is distributed free
of charge to members. Interested others may obtain a copy for the price
of postage by writing P. O. Box 116, Topeka, KS 66601-0116 or by
calling (913) 354-4714.

Editor: Pat O'Brien (submit articles by mailing to address above to
Pat's attention or by e-mailing [email-masked])

Contributors: Doug Glaze, Kevyn Jacobs, Sue Ledbetter, Tobie Matava,
Pat O'Brien, Chris Renner
====================================

====================================
COMMUNITY NEWS and ANNOUNCEMENTS

EMAIL COORDINATOR WANTED - Equality Kansas is looking for someone to
run its e-mail network. Kevyn Jacobs has done a great job for the last
several years but has resigned recently. If you are interested in
applying for the job (getting the huge benefit of many more e-mail
addresses at your fingertips!) contact Doug Glaze at 913-354-4714. If
you need more information about what the job entails e-mail Kevyn at
"[email-masked]".

YOU OR I COULD BE THERE. . . Brian Laudick was imprisoned recently for
making threats to Fred Phelps. While we cannot condone threats against
anybody, we do understand that Phelps' actions are at the very least
questionable and possibly threatening. In the meantime, Brian remains
in the Shawnee County Jail for six months. There are reports of ill
treatment by prison inmates and officials because he is Gay. Brian
needs to hear from us! Please take the time to write to Brian and let
him know there is a community out here who cares. Brian Laudick, c/o
Shawnee County Jail, Topeka, KS 66603.

HIV PREVENTION. The Kansas Department of Health & Environment is
seeking individuals to participate in its HIV Prevention Community
Planning Group (CPG). Begun last year under the authorization of the
Centers for Disease Control, the CPG program involves those effected by
HIV and AIDS directly in the planning process for HIV Prevention
Programming for the first time. The CPG program is specifically looking
for individuals who can represent/address the needs and concerns of the
following populations (or combined populations):

HIV+ (men & women)
Injection Drug User
Family members of HIV+ people
Gay-identified youth
Gay-identified men of color
Gay-identified men from rural areas
Sex Workers
Bisexual Men
Prisoners
Partners of HIV+
Men who have sex w men but are not Gay-Identified
Homeless

For more information about how you can contribute to HIV Prevention
Planning for Kansas by participating in the CPG program, contact:
Jeanine Ambrosio, HIV Prevention Community Planning Coor., Bureau of
Disease Control, AIDS Section, Suite 605 Mills Bldg., 109 S.W. 9th,
Topeka, KS 66612-1271, Call 913-296-5223

LEGAL ISSUES INVOLVING LESBIANS AND GAYS CONFERENCE IS A SUCCESS! The
Washburn University School of Law's Lesbian/Gay Network sponsored
Conference held on February 4th included topics on: Hawaii: What the
Courts have said about Lesbian/Gay marriage; Free speech vs. Hate
speech; AID & Disability - Dealing with the Social Security
Administration; Wills & Trusts for Lesbian/Gay couples; and Sodomy
laws. Speakers included some of the best Lesbian/Gay attorneys in the
state. The entire conference was videotaped for future reference, and
the Network has generously offered to make these tapes available for
EKS member organizations. If you would like copies of these tapes,
please call Scott Curry at 913-354-4714 for more information.

LAWRENCE PFLAG GROUP FORMED- A chapter of Parents, Families, and
Friends of Lesbians and Gays has formed in Lawrence and welcomes
participation by individuals and families throughout the region.
Meetings are held in Lawrence on the first Sunday of the month that is
not a holiday. Lawrence PFLAG may be reached at P.O. Box 1284,
Lawrence, KS 66044-1284, or by leaving a message at (913) 842-0225.

MAINSTREAM COALITION FORMS IN MANHATTAN - Calling itself the Flint
Hills Mainstream Coalition, a bi-partisan grassroots group of citizens
met on Sunday, February 5, 1995 to form a local organization to resist
the encroachment of religious fanatics into local politics. The meeting
drew 50 people, including State Senator Lana Oleen (R) and three of the
ten candidates running for school board in Manhattan: Larry Weaver, Deb
Nuss and Joleen Hill.

The name "Flint Hills Mainstream Coalition" was adopted, tentative
statements of principle and purpose were approved and fundraising plans
were established. The stated purpose of the organization is to
"preserve the traditional American values of separation of church and
state, freedom of religion and speech, pluralism, individual rights,
the importance of family, public education, and tolerance and
compassion for all, and to educate and inform citizens on the issues of
the day, and to educate elected and appointed public officials and
political candidates about attempts to impose religious ideologies on
their community's government and public educational institutions. For
more information about the Flint Hills Mainstream Coalition, contact
Jami Ramsey at 913-539-3828. Donations, which are not tax-deductible,
may be sent to: The Flint Hills Mainstream Coalition, c/o Virgene
Crane, 3819 Emerald Circle,  Manhattan KS,  66502
======================================================

======================================================
KANSAS LESBIGAYS TAKE TO THE
INFORMATION SUPERHIGHWAY

by Kevyn Jacobs, KSU student and former EKS board member.
Kevyn now writes a regular weekly column on LesBiGay issues for the
Kansas State Collegian. His e-mail address is [email-masked].

In the past few years, the Internet has changed the way that Queers
communicate and organize. Activists in Kansas have been at the
forefront of this revolution, learning to use e-mail and computers to
organize in ways that were undreamed of just a few short years ago.

E-mail networks are probably the most widespread of these organizing
tools, connecting far-flung activists and supporters from all parts of
the state with almost instantaneous written communications. E-mail is
advantageous, as it is faster than regular mail, and usually cheaper
than long distance telephone service.

Since 1993, Equality Kansas has operated a statewide list of activists,
tying together Equality Kansas members and supporters into a state-wide
web of Equality Kansas information. This network allows Equality Kansas
to get information out to members fast, and also allows communication
between Equality Kansas and other organizations such as NGLTF, the
News-Telegraph, student groups like LesBiGayOK at KU, and other state
organizations like Missouri on the Move.

This February, the Equality Kansas E-mail network spun off an
independent e-mail network called Kansas Queer News, which essentially
serves as an on-line, statewide "Electronic Queer Newspaper." KQN
carries clippings from local newspapers covering local queer issues,
announcements of events and functions of different organizations in the
state, editorials, and of course, lots and lots of information on Fred
Phelps. Local networks such as Manhattan Queers and LesBiGay exist too.
Local Bulletin Board Services, such as the Land of Awes in Wichita
provide information sources for the LesBiGay community Land of Awes
also produces an on-line magazine called the Electronic Gay community
magazine, which is available for IBM-PC compatible machines.

Students, faculty and staff of all of the universities in Kansas are
eligible for free e-mail accounts through their universities - and you
don't need to own a computer, either, if computer labs are available on
campus. Employees of many libraries and schools in Kansas are also
eligible for low-cost e-mail accounts with the Information Network of
Kansas. Low cost commercial services such as American On-line are
available for under $ 10 a month, and some FidoNet BBS's such as The
Land of Awes in Wichita provide indirect e-mail connectivity for a
nominal charge.

E-MAIL ADDRESSES FOR EKS MEMBERS & ALLIES

Equality Kansas - [email-masked]

Gay & Lesbian Alliance for Resources & Education (Emporia) -
[email-masked]

Human Rights Project (KC)-  [email-masked]

Kansas Queer News -  [email-masked]

KS Com. on Gay & Lesbian Concerns (NASW)[email-masked]

Land of Awes BBS (Wichita)- BBS: (316) 269-4208
          [email-masked]

LesBiGayOK (KU)- [email-masked]

Manhattan Queers - [email-masked]

Nat'l Gay and Lesbian Task Force - [email-masked]

News-Telegraph (Midwest) - [email-masked]

Simply Equal (Lawrence) - [email-masked]

Unity & Pride Alliance (Topeka) - [email-masked]

=========================================

=========================================
CALENDAR OF EVENTS

MARCH 4 - CHALLENGING THE AGENDA OF THE RADICAL RIGHT      Columbia, MO
Sponsored by Committee for Reason and Justice. Call Vicki at (314)
449-2475 for registration information. Featured .speakers: Skipp
Porteous, John Swomley & Donna Redwing.

MARCH 5 -  GLAAD MEDIA TRAINING LED BY DONNA REDWING & MISSOURI TASK
FORCE FOR LESBIAN AND GAY CONCERNS POLICY INSTITUTE ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP
MEETING                                                   Columbia, MO
Sponsored by MOTFPI - Call (800) 576-5128 to register for Sundays event
-fee of $10 waived for those attending Sat. conference.

MARCH 16 - HRP OPEN HOUSE AND MEMBERSHIP KICK-OFF       Kansas City, MO
Sponsored by Human Rights Project. Come visit the new office! Call
(816) 753-1672 for more information.

MARCH 24-26 - COMING TOGETHER: A NATIONAL CONFERENCE OF
ALLIES TO DEFEND DIVERSITY & DEMOCRACY                      Atlanta, GA
Sponsored by the Center for Democratic Renewal - Scholarships Available
- Call (404)221-0025 for more information.
===============================================================

====================================================
LEGISLATIVE TARGETING TO STOP THE CONSERVATIVE
ANTI-LESBIAN/GAY BILLS IN KS

by Doug Glaze

1995 is going to be a dangerous year for Kansas' Lesbian and Gay
residents. Last year's elections handed social conservatives, who are
bent on barring Lesbians and Gay men from public life as much as
possible. control of the Kansas house of Representatives. Republican
Tim Shallenburger, a sponsor of last year's anti-Gay Cornfield
Resolution, was elected Speaker of the House last month, ousting
moderate Republican Bob Miller. Shallenburger promptly appointed other
anti-Gay legislators to chair various House committees. It is these
committees which introduce and deliberate proposed legislation before
it is given to the full House for a vote. Despite promises from
Shallenburger and others that economic, not social, issues will
dominate the conservative agenda in the 1995 House session, legislative
observers familiar with conservative tactics in past House sessions
believe it is only a matter of time before anti-Gay legislation is
introduced and passed.

Darlene Cornfield, in particular, is expected to continue to be a
source of anti-Gay proposals in the current House sessions. Cornfield,
a Republican representative from Valley Center, attended a national
symposium for conservative lawmakers last year on how to "combat
militant homosexuality."

If we are to organize successfully against anti-Gay proposals from
Kansas conservatives, we must focus our efforts on the Kansas Senate.
The Senate is controlled by moderate Republican, who disagree with
conservatives on many social issues. Kansas Senators, who are up for
re-election in 1996, will be under an extreme amount of pressure from
conservative groups to pass House-sponsored social legislation. The
Senators will need a lot of support from non-conservative groups and
constituents to justify voting against anti-Gay social legislation.

The following Senators of both parties may be considered 'moderate' on
many social issues, though not necessarily friendly towards Lesbian and
Gay concerns. We would like EKS members to write or call these Senators
in an attempt to make them more so. When contacting these Senators,
please express your concerns over the House of Representatives'
attempts to push divisive 'social issues' over (and to the exclusion
of) other pressing issues that deserve their attention. It is also
important that as many people as possible 'come out' to them as being
openly Lesbian or Gay - many of these Senators have expressed to
various people that they have rarely or never been contacted by Lesbian
or Gay constituents.

Please note that this list is intended to serve only as a guideline to
assist you in contacting your representatives in the most effective way
possible, and is by no means intended to be comprehensive. This list is
not in any way to be construed as an endorsement of the following
candidates by either the KS Choice Alliance or EKS.

Dick Bond (OP)
Rib Gooch (Wichita)
Dave Kerr (Hutchinson)
Mark Parkinson (Olathe)
David Corbin (Towanda)

Anthony Hensley (Topeka)
Audrey Langworthy (PV)
Marge Petty (Topeka)
Richard Rock (Arkansas city)
Alicia Salisbury (Topeka)

Doug Walker (Osawatomie)
Bill Wisdom (KC)
Christine Downey (Newton)
Paul Feleciano (Wichita)
Sherman Jones (KC)

Jerry Karr (Emporia)
Lana Oleen (Manhattan)
Lilian Papay (Great Bend
Sandy Praeger (Lawrence)
Pat Ranson (Wichita)
Carolyn Tillotson (Leavenworth)
Bob Vancrum (OP)

When writing or calling any elected official: 1. ) Always be polite. 2)
Always use their title and "The Honorable" when addressing letters. 3)
Always discuss a specific subject - a specific bill and number if
possible. 4) Always include your personal experience if relevant. 5)
Handwritten letters are best (if readable), and receive the most
attention. 6) Ask the official to take a specific stance, their support
or defeat of a bill. 7) Include your full name, address, and phone
number in your correspondence. Offer to help your legislator - often
the legislator has not heard your particular point before, and may want
to know more. 8) Ask your legislator for suggestions. 9) Try to stick
to one point of an issue -a legislator is more apt to listen and
remember your point if it is brief and immediately relevant. 10) Always
ask for a reply.

The first bills that negatively affect Lesbian and Gay Kansans have now
been introduced in the KS House and are likely to pass there. These
include HB 2301 (discussed on page 1), House Bill 2092 which would
rescind the Quality Performance Accreditation program (conservatives
are using this bill to kill the QPA program in part because it demands
that all people, including Lesbians and Gays be treated frankly and
objectively during the presentation of relevant course material) and
House Resolution 5009 (this bill would amend the State Constitution
with language that would give parents the "exclusive right" to
determine how their children will be taught in public schools (it
creates the legal basis to allow creatlonlsm to be taught and allows
parents to censor school libraries and curriculum).

WE ARE THE PEOPLE! Write/call your legislators today !
============================================

============================================
HOUSE BILL #2301 UPDATE:

Friday, February 24th, an emergency meeting was called by the House
Education Committee and the bill was passed out of Committee by an
11-10 vote. The bill was sent to the floor of the house and on Wed.,
Mar. l, it was passed by the House by a margin of 88-36. The bill has
been revised and the section advising the pupil that it is `unlawful
for a person to engage in sexual acts with another person of the same
sex in the State of Kansas` was removed from the bill. However, several
amendments were added to the bill and they included the following:
Teach that ABSTINENCE FROM SEXUAL ACTIVITY OUTSIDE OF MARRIAGE IS THE
EXPECTED STANDARD FOR ALL SCHOOL AGE CHILDREN. TEACH THAT THE BEST WAY
TO AVOID SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASES AND OTHER ASSOCIATED HEALTH
PROBLEMS IS TO ESTABLISH A MUTUALLY FAITHFUL MONOGAMOUS RELATIONSHIP IN
THE CONTEXT OF MARRIAGE.

ACTION: Abstinence is an important component of any comprehensive
sexuality education program and comprehensive programs enforce
abstinence through teaching skills such as refusal, communication and
decision making. Fear-based sex education is inappropriate and relies
on distorted medical information, displaying sexist, homophobic and
racist biases and relies on fear and shame to promote abstinence,
Research indicates that does not work. Call your Senators and ask them
to vote against this bill. (913-296-7300)

EQUALITY KANSAS and P-FLAG members from around the state lobbied
legislators and prepared testimony for the House Education Committee
and we were successful in influencing the committee to remove certain
portions from the bill, but the intent of this bill is to eliminate
comprehensive sexuality education programs from our schools. IT MUST BE
DEFEATED!
=====================================================

=====================================================
NETWORK FOR UNITY & TOLERANCE

Statement of Purpose
To insure access to diverse ideas, to promote open communication among
all groups in our society who mutually respect all people and cultures,
to educate and inform the general public on issues dealing with
activities of the extremist right.

NETWORK
Will be the catalyst to bring together diverse groups with a common
thread....they have been attacked by the extremist religious right, or
are potentially under such attack. The Network will serve as a clearing
house of information for member organizations and the media, a
multi-partisan network that will provide a vehicle for developing joint
strategies to counter the activities of the extreme right political
movement.

POSSIBLE GOALS AND DISCUSSION

1. ADOPT AGENDA
2. ESTABLISH STANDARD OF BEHAVIOR AND CONDUCT FOR MEETING
3. IDENTIFY ALLIES: keeping in mind that not every group may join in
every battle, but make it our goal to reach out to a broader
constituency. Keep in mind the old organizer's saying if you're
comfortable with everybody at the table, your coalition is too small.
4. DEVELOPMENT OF COMMUNICATION NETWORK AMONG GROUPS. Keep in mind the
importance of a diverse communication network, computer bulletin
boards, mail, newsletters, fax-nets, telephone-trees etc.
5. KNOW YOUR OPPONENT-RESEARCH IDENTIFY ACTIVITIES IN YOUR COMMUNITY.
Get on their mailing lists, send representatives to their public
meetings, read their literature, listen to talk radio and T.V.
programs, also identify affiliations check out faculty, staff, board of
regents, large donors, radio and T.V. stations, newspapers, bookstores,
campus organizations and gather names of leaders etc.
6. HOW DO WE AVOID BASHING OUR OPPONENTS FOR THEIR RELIGIOUS VIEWS?
Religion is to be respected, we don't want to give the extremist right
grounds to accuse us of religious bigotry - it works in their favor
every time. The battle is over politics and policy and they may be
wrong on the issues and have ideas and motives we don't agree with but
they have as much right to participate in the democratic process as we
do.
7. DEVELOPMENT OF COMMUNITY PLANS FOR ORGANIZING. Take your local
extremist right groups seriously. They won't go away. If they loose a
battle they may retreat but they will be back, the fire that drives
them won't be dying anytime soon.
8. HOW TO EDUCATE THE PUBLIC? These strategies may include community
meetings, speakers' bureaus, editorial writing and visits to local
paper, local talk programs, etc.

FIRST SUMMIT MEETING WILL BE SAT. APRIL 1, 1995
Unity Temple on the Plaza  707 W. 47th KC MO 9:30-4:00
$10.00 fee for room rental and a sack lunch will be provided
For reservations Contact Sharon Lockhart (913)642-1614
or Sue Ledbetter (316)265-5736

SPONSORED BY EQUALITY KANSAS
==============================================================

======================================================
NEW FROM THE HUMAN RIGHTS PROJECT
by Tobie Matava

I am pleased to have the opportunity to introduce myself and the Human
Rights Project to each of you. I realize that some of you may already
be members of or at least familiar with the Human Rights Project. As
the new Executive Director, one of my goals is to continue working on
building coalitions with groups and individuals. It simply makes sense
to focus on both for our outreach focus on both sides of the state
line.

In the past year, lesbian and gay concerns have taken on an
increasingly higher profile in political debates at the national, state
and local levels. Despite the defeat of most ballot initiatives
sponsored by the religious right in 1994, those of us living in the
heartland know that the hatred remains. Anti-gay activists from Pat
Robertson, to Paul Summers in Springfield, MO and Fred Phelps in
Topeka, have waged a high profile attack on gay men, and lesbians. Even
more alarming is the quiet war being waged by stealth candidates at the
very foundation of our communities, in our schools and neighborhoods.
We must continue to work together to identify and expose all candidates
who are attempting to subvert the electoral process by using it to
spread their agenda of hate and discrimination.

There is much that we can do as individuals: make sure your vote is an
informed one, monitor legislation that is being introduced in the State
Capitol and let your Representative know your opinion. We need to raise
up our voices so that they will be heard over the rhetoric of the
Radical Right. Now is not a time to be complacent, you can be sure that
the other side is active and pushing for their agenda. For example, on
the national level Dr. Henry Foster, nominee for Surgeon General, is
being criticized and demonized by a variety of conservative groups.
Foster has a commitment to AIDS prevention and education and he has
served as a Planned Parenthood advisory board member. make sure you
register your opinion with your U. S. Senator about the confirmation of
Dr. Foster. Write or call the U. S. Senate, Washington, DC, 20510 or
call (202) 224-3121 (Editor's note: KS Sen. Nancy Landon Kassebaum is
Chair of the Senate Labor and Human Resources Committee that will be
holding the hearings on Dr. Foster's nomination).

In a recent town meeting in Kennesaw, Georgia, Speaker of the House
Newt Gingrich confirmed to Cathy Woolard, Human Rights Campaign Fund
Deputy Director, that he has promised Radical Right leader Lou Sheldon
that he will probably hold hearings on "the Gay Agenda," and
gay-related school curricula sometime in August.

Rev. Sheldon is best known for advocating the confinement of
HIV-positive people in concentration camps. He has mobilized boycotts
and campaigns against any positive portrayals of lesbians and gays in
the media. Sheldon was behind legislation that sought to impose federal
control on schools with programs that address lesbian and gay concerns.
The Radical Right will use these hearings to promote negative images of
gay, lesbian, and bisexual Americans, legislation that will single out
gay youth for discrimination in public schools, where they already face
intolerance and harassment. Please write to the Speaker and urge him to
resist pressure from Sheldon and other extremists and to focus instead
on the real issues. Remind him of his pledge to stand against
persecution and make it clear that by holding hearings he is simply
catering to extremists on the right and setting the stage for
homophobic rhetoric. Write to: The Honorable Newt Gingrich, U. U. House
of Representatives, Washington, DC 20515.

At the Human Rights Project we plan to continue to build coalitions and
visibly work to dispel the myth of the "gay agenda," and to fight to
fulfill our mission which is to:

Advocate for the extension of civil rights laws to include sexual
orientation.

Educate policy makers and the community in order to create an inclusive
society that respects diversity.

Empower Individuals to create social and political change that
recognizes and celebrates the sexual orientation of all persons,
including lesbians, gay men, bisexuals, transvestites, transsexuals and
heterosexuals.

If you would like additional information about HRP or what's happening
on the national level, please call or write us at P. O. Box 32812,
Kansas City, MO 64171 -7812, or call (816) 753- 1672. We have an
opportunity now to be proactive. Let's not wait for a crisis, or for
the theocrats to make the first move, now is the time for us to
organize, lobby and campaign for the extension of civil rights to
everyone regardless of sexual orientation.
================================================

================================================
AMNESTY INTERNATIONAL TARGETS KS FOR SODOMY REPEAL
By Chris E. Renner (Co-Chair Amnesty International Members for Lesbian
and Gay Concerns - Italy)

In 1994 Amnesty International Held the Breaking the Silence Campaign,
the first campaign directed by AI to address the issues and concerns of
gays, lesbians and bisexuals. The campaign was successful in raising
awareness of the human rights violations sexual minorities suffer in
the US, as well as Costa Rica, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Denmark, Canada,
France and Italy. It is about to begin on one of its most ambitious
goals: the repeal of sodomy laws in Arkansas, Kansas, Missouri, Montana
and Tennessee which target solely homosexual activity.

In particular, AI is concerned that sections of the Kansas and Missouri
Criminal code provide imprisonment for individuals who engage in
homosexual acts between consenting adults. Provisions of KSA 1993 Supp.
Section 21-3505 (a)(l), the Criminal Sodomy law, provide for up to 6
months in jail for Sodomy between persons of the same sex, with sodomy
defined as oral or anal copulation or oral contact with genitalia. It
should be pointed out that the inclusion of genitalia is a break from
the general rule where lesbianism is usually not mentioned in
Anglo-Saxon law. If an adult in Kansas or Missouri were to be
imprisoned solely for private, consensual, homosexual acts, Amnesty
International would consider that individual to be a prisoner of
conscience.

The International Secretariat in London, UK, has given AIUSA permission
to actively work on the repeal of the discriminatory laws using the
participation of local citizens which is a departure from AI's
guidelines. In taking this step, AI has realized that any attempt at
organizing through AI's traditional methods of operations, letter
writing campaigns and direct lobbying, would be unsuccessful, if a
coalition of gay/lesbian/bisexual and civil rights groups are not
formed to build a solid base of support for a future challenge to the
sodomy laws.

Individuals, groups and local AI groups are needed to work intensively
in repealing these laws. It is important that we begin by working
within the State building networks and support systems to fight these
laws. In particular AIMLGC in Kansas is looking for a liaison to work
with local AI groups, ACLU members, and the gay/lesbian/bi community.
To receive a packet of AI materials detailing how people can help work
against the sodomy laws in Kansas or to indicate interest in working on
the project, please write:

AIMLGC-AIUSA, 53 Jackson St., #1162, Chicago, IL 60604, email:
[email-masked], telephone: (202) 546-8794 OR the Mid-West Regional
AIMLGC Representative Michelle Mohr, 1250 1/2 Neil Ave., Columbus, OH
43201.
=========================================================

=========================================================
BUILDING COALITION AS AGENTS OF SOCIAL CHANGE
by Pat O'Brien

It is easy for many of us to feel overwhelmed by the many forms of
systematic oppression that are so pervasive in American society today.
We become immobilized, not certain of which direction to turn next,
which fire to hold back from scorching us further.

As important as it is for my self-image to agitate visibly and actively
against the practices that most immediately affect my safety and
well-being as a lesbian and those many lesbians, bisexuals, and gay men
that are a part of my web, I also believe that I must take on the
mantle of "ally" to build an all-inclusive movement for social change
so that we can all walk in a world free of injustice and hatred.

Andrea Ayvazian defined an ally as a "member of a dominant group in our
society who works to dismantle any form of oppression from which she or
he receives the benefit" (p. 6). This definition challenges me to take
personal responsibility for the changes that we know are needed in
society, and so often ignore by believing that we can only be
successful if we focus on one issue at a time. I don't think we have
the luxury to wait until gay and lesbian people enjoy civil rights to
recognized that violence against Jews and African Americans has
increased in the last year, that immigrants of all nationalities are
targeted in all kinds of punitive policies (including those that would
deny benefits to people who have been tax-paying citizens for some
time). Single women with children are increasingly impoverished by
harsh "reforms" that are not meant to end poverty, but only to
eliminate guaranteed income support as well as supplemental food and
subsidized housing.

When we consider the different manifestations of systematic oppression
and find ourselves in any of the categories where we are dominant we
have the potential to be remarkably powerful agents of change allies.
Allies are whites who identify as anti-racists, men who work to
dismantle sexism, able-bodied people who are active in the disability
rights movement, and Christians who combat anti-Semitism. Allied
behavior is clear action aimed at dismantling the oppression of others
in areas where you yourself benefit--it is proactive, intentional, and
often involves taking a risk.

There have been many times when straight allies have stood up with
lesbian, gay, and bisexual people to resist discrimination. Most
recently, at the Lawrence City Commission study session where the
amendment to include sexual orientation to the human rights ordinance
was under consideration, I was proud to see many allies in the crowded
chamber. May we continue to create the rooms in which we can all stand
united!

*Ayvazian. A ( 1995). Interrupting the cycle of Oppression: The role of
allies as agents of change. Fellowship, 61 (1-2). p. 6-11.
=============================================

========================================================
EQUALITY KANSAS REPRESENTS YOUR VOICE ACROSS KANSAS!

One month after an anti-Lesbian & Gay resolution called the Cornfield
Resolution was proposed by radical right legislators Equality Kansas
was born in response. Since its founding in July of 1993, Equality
Kansas has:

Organized our Activist Network of over 1,000 people across the state of
Kansas.

Organized the postcard and door-to-door campaign that convinced
legislators in the 1994 session not to introduce the divisive Cornfield
Resolution.

Established a working relationship with state and national groups like
the Kansas Choice Alliance, N.O.W., the National Gay/Lesbian Task
Force, and the Human Rights Campaign Fund.

Founded, published, and distributed Common Ground, our newsletter to
members.

Testified before the Kansas House of Representatives in 1994 against
attempts to establish initiative and referendum in Kansas.

Joined with other groups to oppose HB 2301 and other anti-Gay/Lesbian
bills in the 1995 legislative session.

YOUR MEMBERSHIP MAKES THIS IMPORTANT WORK POSSIBLE!

Name:
Address:
City, State, ZIP
County:
Telephone:

E-mail address:

KS Senator:
KS Rep.

Yes, I would like to support Equality KS with my membership. Enclosed
find $10 for my yearly dues and subscription to Common Ground.

I am supportive of your efforts, but cannot become a member at this
time.

Please (DO) (DO NOT) share my name with other affiliated organizations.

Please clip and mail to:

EQUALITY KANSAS
P.O. BOX 116
TOPEKA, KS 66601-0116