Subject: NEWS TELEGRAPH: "PRO-FAMILY" BILLS IN THE KANSAS HOUSE
From: Kevyn Jacobs <[email-masked]>
To: "Kansas Queer News [KQN]" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Equality Kansas Email List [EKS]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 10:18:03 -0600 (CST)

by Jon D. Barnett

 TOPEKA KS-While Newt Gingrich waves his "Contract With America"
in Washington, Kansans are getting their first taste of what some
conservatives, who were swept into power here last November, have
on their mind.

According to a legislative alert from Equality Kansas (EKS), at
least three measures have already been introduced that would
restrict discussion, or even the mention of Lesbians and Gays, in
public schools. This despite pledges from conservatives during
their campaigns that "social issues" would not dominate the House
this year.

Hopes that conservatives would hold off on introducing anti-Gay
and Lesbian proposals in order to smooth ruffled feathers among
more moderate Republicans were dashed when theocratic
conservatives elected one of their own as House Speaker. It now
appears as if the body is ripe for any and all right-wing
proposals.

House Resolution 2301 would require that all sex education
programs in Kansas public schools be strictly "abstinence-based."
Frank discussion of safe sex would be prohibited and school
teachers would be required to limit their discussion of sex to
"heterosexual marriage."

The resolution is currently being sponsored by 47 legislators and
has been endorsed by the Kansas Family Research Institute, a
Focus on the Family affiliate, according to Doug Glaze, an EKS
organizer.

Another resolution, HCR 5009 would amend the state Constitution
with language that would give parents the 'exclusive right' to
determine how their children will be taught in public schools.
Glaze said the amendment, if passed, creates a legal basis to
allow creationism to be taught along side science in the
classroom, and allow parents to censor school libraries and
curriculum, especially when dealing with issues such as sex
education and diversity. "It would effectively remove any
discussion of Lesbian and Gay issues from all public schools,"
said Glaze.

The third bill, HB 2092, would rescind the Quality Performance
Accreditation program, which prepares public school students in
Kansas to live, learn and work in a global society.
"Conservatives are using this bill to kill the QPA program, in
part, because it demands that all people, including Lesbians and
Gays, be treated frankly and objectively during the presentation
of relevant course material," Glaze said.

EKS won't expend a huge effort to mount much opposition to these
measures in the House, Glaze said. Given the dominance of
theocratic conservatives, they are all likely to pass easily.
Instead, the group is asking members and supporters to ask their
state Senators to derail the efforts there.

 "Our efforts in the House will continue, though they will be
primarily restricted to observing. We are concentrating our
lobbying efforts in the capitol in the Senate this year, and are
encouraging our members to contact their Senators and urge them
to reject conservative social proposals," Glaze said.

Unlike the House, the Kansas Senate is considered more
"moderate," though still controlled by Republicans who will be up
for re-election in 1996. "They will be under enormous pressure
from the conservatives to give their consent to their proposals,"
Glaze said.

FROM THE NEWS-TELEGRAPH
FEBRUARY 24 - MARCH 9, 1995
REPRINTED WITH PERMISSION

==========================================================
Permission granted by the News-Telegraph for distribution
to the KQN email list ([email-masked]),
and archiving in the Queer Resources Directory (QRD) on the
Internet (http://www.qrd.org/QRD). For News-Telegraph
subscription information (published twice a month), please
call 1.816.561.6266, or email: [email-masked]
==========================================================