Subject: ACTION ALERT: Iowa
From: James Yorton <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 1996 09:04:52 -0500 (CDT)

[ submitted by [email-masked] ]

The Des Moines School Board is trying to fast track the decision on whether
or not to remove the sexual orientation language from its non-discrimination
policy.  It could come up for a vote as soon as the Tuesday, June 4, 1996
Board meeting.

At a policy subcommittee meeting on Monday, June 3 at 6:30AM, subcommittee
members Sands, Sandahl, and Jensen voted 2-1 to bring the issue to the full
Board.  Their recommendation is to amend the policy so that it doesn't cover
the following three groups of individual:

1) transvestites, transsexuals or cross dressers, those with gender identity
disorders which are not biological, those with sexual behavior disorders,
pedophiles, bestiality, voyeurism;

2) compulsive gambling, kleptomania

3) substance abuse.
(note-this language is from the Americans With Disabilities Act, and it was
included in the ADA as a last minute concession to Jesse Helms to get the Act
passed.  I am quoting this from memory, and I know that I haven't given you
the exact language.  Should you need the exact language, please contact the
Des Moines School Board at 515-242-7843)

There are four things we are asking you to do.
1)  Attend a community organizing meeting tonight -- 6:30 PM Monday, June 3,
1996 at the Interfaith Alliance office, 2718 University (the Wesley
Foundation bldg) to discuss strategy.

2) Attend the school board meeting tomorrow night -- 5PM Tuesday, June 4 at
Central Campus 1800 Grand Avenue.  It could be a long meeting, and at this
point we don't know whether or not the sexual orientation language will be on
the agenda.  This is part of the opposition's strategy -- to catch us off
guard.

3)  If you want to speak to the school board at this meeting, please call
242-7843 to sign up.

4)  Phone individual school board members as soon as possible & tell them to
retain the current non-discrimination policy!!!  Their phone numbers are:

[ area code 515 ]

Jane Hein 287-2700
Jacquie Easley 245-2194
John Phoenix 288-0759
Harold Sandahl 277-3357
Suzette Jensen 266-7908
Laura Sands 279-3424
Liz Goodwin 279-0703
If you have any questions, please contact [email-masked].
Thank you!!!!!!

---
_____________________________________________________________________________

* ACTION-ALERT is a moderated mailing list.                                 *
* To subscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:    [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe action-alert *
* To unsubscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:  [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe action-alert *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                             *
_____________________________________________________________________________