Subject: MEDIA INVITATION: CHRISTIAN GLBT & ALLIES CONFERENCE - WOW2000
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 14:38:07 EDT

* MEDIA INVITATION TO ATTEND WOW2000 *

DESPITE DISCRIMINATORY POLICIES BY MANY DENOMINATIONS THIS SUMMER, GRASSROOTS 
WELCOMING CHURCH MOVEMENT GROWS TO AFFECT CHANGE

WOW2000 Conference To Be the Largest Cross-Denominational Gathering of 
Christians Working for Full Inclusion of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and 
Transgender (LGBT) Persons in Our Churches and Society, August 3 - 6, 2000

*****************************************
MEDIA ALERT: July 12, 2000 - For Immediate Release 
Witness Our Welcome - WOW2000  
http://www.wow2k.org    
Media Contact: Laura Montgomery Rutt    
Phone: 717-627-7180 (media only)    Email: [email-masked]
******************************************

Chicago - Strategizing and working toward full inclusion of LGBT people in 
churches and society despite prohibitions, discrimination, and other 
barriers, will be one of the themes of the largest ecumenical gathering of 
welcoming churches and individuals ever held; Witness our Welcome 2000: God's 
Promise Is for You (WOW2000).  This historic event will be taking place 
August 3 - 6 in DeKalb, IL, at Northern Illinois University just outside 
Chicago.

WHO: Hundreds of people of all ages, gay and straight, many from 
congregations and organizations active in the struggle for equality for 
lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people, including many of the most 
prominent and outspoken leaders in the Welcoming Church Movement.

WHAT: Witness our Welcome 2000: God's Promise Is for You (WOW2000) - the 
largest cross-denominational  gathering of welcoming churches and individuals 
ever held.

WHY: To work for full inclusion of LGBT people in churches and society.

WHERE: Northern Illinois University, Dekalb IL, west of Chicago.

WHEN:  August 3 at 7:00pm - August  6, 2000 

    Friday, Aug 4 at noon - Press Conference on the campus of Northern 
Illinois University
(campus location to be announced) with press availability  
      *Invited Speakers at press conference include:
Ø Rev. Jimmy Creech, former United Methodist who was defrocked by the church;
Ø Rev. Dr. Janie Spahr,  an openly gay lesbian Presbyterian minister;
Ø Rev. Dr. Bill Johnson, United Church of Christ and first openly gay person 
ever ordained;
Ø The Right Reverend Steve Charleston, President of the Episcopal Divinity 
School;
Ø Irene Monroe, doctoral candidate at Harvard Divinity School, teaching 
fellow of Rev. Peter Gomes.
        
Most plenary speakers and worship leaders will be available at this time.  
For a full list of speakers, worship leaders, and workshop facilitators, see 
http://www.wow2k.org
                    
OTHER MEDIA CONSIDERATIONS:  Media are invited to attend adult workshops, 
plenaries, and the large worship services, some restrictions apply.  Possible 
story angles include: People on the local level are working for full 
inclusion of LGBT individuals.  Grassroots movement strategizing across 
domination lines for change.  Parents and Family members are adversely  
affected by church discriminatory policies.  LBGT and allies refuse to accept 
churches discriminatory policies.

To RSVP and get credentials for the event to have access to the press room, 
all plenaries, workshops, large worship services, and the press conference, 
please email [email-masked], or call 717-627-7180. Additional 
media interviews can be scheduled in advance.

*SEE FULL PRESS RELEASE BELOW * 

----------------------------------------------------------------

DESPITE DISCRIMINATORY POLICIES BY MANY DENOMINATIONS THIS SUMMER, GRASSROOTS 
WELCOMING CHURCH MOVEMENT GROWS TO AFFECT CHANGE

WOW2000 To Be the Largest Cross-Denominational Gathering and Celebration of 
Christians Working for Full Inclusion of  Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and 
Transgender Persons in Church and Society, August 3 - 6, 2000

*****************************************
PRESS RELEASE: May 30, 2000 - For Immediate Release 
Witness Our Welcome - WOW2000  
http://www.wow2k.org    
Media Contact: Laura Montgomery Rutt    
Phone: 717-627-7180 (media only)  Email: [email-masked]
******************************************

Chicago - Hundreds of Christians are expected to assemble for the largest 
ecumenical gathering of welcoming churches and individuals ever held; Witness 
our Welcome 2000: God's Promise Is for You (WOW2000).  This historic event 
will be taking place August 3 - 6 in DeKalb, IL, at Northern Illinois 
University just outside Chicago, to work for the full inclusion of  lesbian, 
gay,  bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people despite prohibitions and 
discrimination in many churches and denominations.

"After most of the national denominational meetings this summer, it becomes 
clearer and clearer that full inclusion is going to be at grassroots of most 
denominations.  The work of people on the local level is what will affect 
change in our denominations, and it is what will support inclusion in each 
local church that already affirms LGBT individuals," said Mark Bowman, 
Coordinator of the WOW2000 Conference.

According to Bowman, there are already over 1000 churches in the welcoming 
church movement.  Over 300 United Church of Christ (UCC) congregations are 
listed with the "UCC Coalition for LGBT Concerns" as Open and Affirming (ONA) 
churches.  The General Synod, which is the national delegate body which meets 
every other year, adopted a resolution in 1985 calling on all UCC 
Congregations to become open and affirming.

"For the past 30 years, various bodies in the UCC church have been speaking 
out for full inclusion of GLBT people within the church and society," said 
Ann B. Day, the ONA Program Coordinator for the UCC Coalition for LGBT 
Concerns.  "The WOW2000 Conference is one more step forward in the journey 
for full  inclusion."

Among the notable speakers who are participating in at WOW2000 are Rev. Janie 
Spahr, an openly lesbian Presbyterian minister and  founder of "That All May 
Freely Serve"; Rev. Jimmy Creech, who was defrocked by the United Methodist  
Church for performing a union ceremony for two men; Rev. John Selders, an 
ordained minister in the United Church of Christ and coordinator for the 
Urban Leadership Project of The Night Ministry of Chicago; Rev. Dr. Gwynne 
Guibord, the chief ecumenical officer for Universal Fellowship of 
Metropolitan Community Churches; and many more.

To register, or for more information about sponsoring organizations, see 
http://www.wow2k.org, or call 800-318-5581.

NOTE: For press credentials, please contact Laura Montgomery Rutt, 
717-627-7180,  (FAX) 717-625-3878,  (email) [email-masked] .

SPONSORS include: Affirming Congregation Programme (United Church of Canada); 
Association of Welcoming and Affirming Baptists (American Baptist); Beyond 
Inclusion, Integrity, & The Oasis (Episcopal); More Light Presbyterians 
(Presbyterian); Open & Affirming Ministries (Disciples of Christ); Open and 
Affirming Program (United Church of Christ); Reconciling in Christ Program 
(Lutheran); Reconciling Congregation Program (United Methodist);  Supportive 
Congregations Network (Brethren/Mennonite).

 For the full list of speakers, worship leaders, workshop facilitators, and 
organizations supporting WOW2000, go to http://www.wow2k.org/