Subject: WOW2000: NATIONAL SPEAKERS HOLD PRESS CONFERENCE
From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 22:49:23 EDT

MEDIA ALERT: August 2, 2000 - For Immediate Release

OVER 900 LESBIAN, GAY, BISEXUAL, and TRANSGENDER INDIVIDUALS and FAMILIES, 
FRIENDS, and ALLIES RALLY AND WORSHIP 
IN DEKALB ILLINOIS THIS WEEK

PRESS CONFERENCE AT 12 NOON , Friday, Aug. 4, 2000
Northern Illinois University, Holmes Center, Ellington Ball Room

************************************************
Witness Our Welcome - WOW 2000              
http://www.wow2k.org
Media Contact: Laura Montgomery Rutt    
Cell Phone: 717-951-7712
************************************************
 
Chicago - Historic Witness our Welcome 2000: God's Promise Is for You 
(WOW2000) Conference is the largest cross-denominational gathering of 
Christians working for full inclusion of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and 
Transgender individuals ever held.

Welcoming churches, pro-LGBT religious organizations, and Christians from 
several denominations are in DeKalb, IL, at Northern Illinois University from 
Aug. 3 - 6 for WOW2000.  The purpose of this event it to celebrate and 
strengthen the Welcoming Church Movement,  a rapidly growing grassroots 
effort to work for full inclusion of LGBT persons in churches throughout the 
United States and Canada. 

Despite prohibitions, discrimination, and other barriers within several 
denominations, people still continue to work for full inclusion of LGBT 
people. Over 1000 churches have already declared themselves "Welcoming", and 
several each week become part of this Welcoming Church Movement.  Many 
worship leaders, workshop facilitators and speakers, who are recognized 
nationally as leaders in the movement, will be speaking to the press at noon 
on August 4.

WHO:
Ø Rev. Jimmy Creech, former United Methodist who was defrocked by the church;
Ø Dr. Rev. Janie Spahr,  an openly gay lesbian Presbyterian minister;
Ø Dr. Rev. Bill Johnson, United Church of Christ and first openly gay person 
ever ordained;
Ø Rev. Eric H. F. Law, noted author and  ordained minister in the Episcopal 
Church;
Ø Irene Monroe, doctoral candidate at Harvard Divinity School, teaching 
fellow of Rev. Peter Gomes.

WHAT: Witness our Welcome 2000: God's Promise Is for You (WOW2000) - the 
largest cross-denominational gathering of welcoming churches and individuals 
ever held

WHERE: Ellington Ball Room, Holmes Center, Northern Illinois University, 
DeKalb, IL

WHEN: Friday, Aug 4 at noon

WHY: To promote and work for full inclusion of LGBT people in churches and 
society and spread the message of an inclusive Gospel of Jesus Christ
                    
MEDIA: Excellent Photo Opportunity, thousands of Stoles from disenfranchised 
and defrocked LGBT and allies on display in the Ball Room.  Additionally,  
press have access to all plenaries, adult workshops, large worship services, 
(some restrictions apply).  Additional media interviews can be scheduled by 
calling 717-951-7712.

# # #