Subject: Over 900 CHRISTIAN LBGT and ALLIES Converge on DeKalb IL on Thursday (August 3,
From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 22:26:09 EDT

OVER 900 LESBIAN, GAY, BISEXUAL, and TRANSGENDER INDIVIDUALS and FAMILIES, 
FRIENDS, and ALLIES TO CONVERGE ON DEKALB ILLINOIS, ON THURSDAY, AUGUST 3,  
FOR HISTORIC CHRISTIAN CONFERENCE

WOW2000 Conference To Be the Largest Cross-Denominational Gathering of 
Christians Working for Full Inclusion of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and 
Transgender (LGBT) Persons in Our Churches and Society, August 3 - 6, 2000

*****************************************
MEDIA ALERT: August 1, 2000 - For Immediate Release 
Witness Our Welcome: WOW2000   http://www.wow2k.org 
Media Contact: Laura Montgomery Rutt    
Cell Phone: 717-951-7712 (media only)
******************************************

Chicago - Welcoming churches, pro-LGBT religious organizations, and 
Christians from several denominations, including the Presbyterian Church 
(USA), the United Church of Christ, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in 
America, the United Methodist Church, the Brethren/Mennonite Church, the 
American Baptist Church, the United Church of Canada, the Christian Church 
(Disciples of Christ), the Episcopal Church USA, and others, are meeting Aug 
3-6 in DeKalb, IL, at Northern Illinois University just outside Chicago for 
Witness our Welcome 2000: God's Promise Is for You (WOW2000).  The purpose of 
this event it to celebrate and strenghten the Welcoming Church Movement.

The Welcoming Church Movement is a rapidly growing grassroots effort to work 
for full inclusion of LGBT persons in churches throughout the United States 
and Canada.  Over 1000 churches have already declared themselves "Welcoming", 
and several each week become part of this movement for full inclusion of LGBT 
people.

Attendees will be learning grassroots methods and strategies for working 
towards full inclusion of LGBT people in churches and society, despite 
prohibitions, discrimination, and other barriers within several 
denominations.  Workshops, worship leaders and speakers, who are recognized 
nationally as leaders in the movement, will offer a plethora of opportunities 
to celebrate, network, work together, plan, and strategize.  

WHO: Over 900 people of all ages, gay and straight, many from congregations 
and organizations active in the struggle for equality for lesbian, gay, 
bisexual, and transgender people, including many of the most prominent and 
outspoken leaders in the Welcoming Church Movement

WHAT: Witness our Welcome 2000: God's Promise Is for You (WOW2000) - the 
largest cross-denominational gathering of welcoming churches and individuals 
ever held

WHY: To work for full inclusion of LGBT people in churches and society

WHERE: Holmes Center, Northern Illinois University, DeKalb, IL, west of 
Chicago

WHEN:  Thursday August 3 at 7:00pm - Sunday August 6, 2000 

Ø Friday, Aug 4 at noon - Press Conference on the campus of Northern Illinois 
University
(campus location to be announced) with nationally known speakers and full 
press availability 
        
Most plenary speakers and worship leaders will be available at this time.  
For a full list of speakers, worship leaders, workshop facilitators, and 
sponsoring organizations,  see http://www.wow2k.org
                    
MEDIA: For a list of press conference speakers, or to RSVP and get 
credentials for the event to have access to the press room, all plenaries, 
adult workshops, large worship services, (some restrictions apply) and the 
press conference, please call 717-951-7712 (media only). Additional media 
interviews can be scheduled in advance.