Subject: QNEWS RELEASE: FL-Based Red Lobster backs down in Illinois
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 01:50:07 EDT

MEDIA RELEASE

For Immediate Release  Contact: Rick Garcia
July 23, 1998     773-244-3371
      Nadine Smith
      813-417-1456
      Roger Leishman
      312-201-9740

RED LOBSTER DROPS CHALLENGE TO GAY RIGHTS LAW

CHICAGO - Following meetings with gay rights activists in Chicago, the 
Red Lobster Restaurant chain dropped its challenge to the Cook County Human
Rights Ordinance, affirmed that it does not tolerate discrimination based
on sexual orientation and apologized to the lesbian and gay community. 

"We welcome Red Lobster's withdrawal of their legal challenge to the 
human rights ordinance and their statement that they support it 'fully and
without qualification' ," said Rick Garcia, director of the Illinois
Federation For Human Rights.  "We are pleased with Red Lobster's
affirmation that they will not tolerate discrimination based on sexual
orientation." 

On July 17 and again on July 22, Red Lobster officials met in Chicago with
representatives of the Federation and Roger Leishman, director of the gay
and lesbian rights project of the ACLU Illinois and new co-chair of the
Federation of Statewide LGBT Political Organizations.  In addition, Nadine
Smith of Equality Florida worked closely with the Chicago activists in
planning strategy. 

"We are pleased to see Red Lobster withdraw their inappropriate and
unsupported legal challenge to the ordinance," said Leishman. 

"The quick and positive resolution to this situation demonstrates the
importance and power of state and local groups working together," said
Smith. #30#

Joint Statement of

Rick Garcia, director
Illinois Federation For Human Rights

Nadine Smith, executive director
Equality Florida

Roger Leishman, co-chair
Federation of Statewide LGBT Political Organizations

We welcome the withdrawal of Red Lobster's legal challenge to the Cook
County Human Rights Ordinance and the company's affirmation that it
"supports fully and without qualification both the spirit and letter of
the Cook County Human Rights Ordinance". 

Red Lobster responded quickly and responsibly to our concerns and company
representatives worked diligently to resolve the issues we raised. 

We are pleased that Red Lobster has issued a strong statement that the
company maintains a strict zero-tolerance stance against discrimination of
any kind and, specifically, will not tolerate discrimination based on
sexual orientation. 

We accept Red Lobster's apology and we look forward to future construct
live relationships.  We will continue to encourage and educate the business
community on creating fair workplaces for all employees. 

----------------- End Forwarded Message -----------------

----------------------------------------------------
Kerry Lobel, Executive Director
National Gay and Lesbian Task Force
202-332-6483 x3307
[email-masked]

_____________________________________________________________________
This message is from the Federation of Statewide Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, 
and Transgender Organizations coordinated by the National Gay and Lesbian Task
Force. All information contained in this posting is confidential and may 
not be crossposted to other lists or shared without the consent of the original author.

Questions about the Statewide Federation should be addressed to NGLTF Field
Organizer Tracey Conaty at [email-masked] or 202/332-6483 x3303. Technical
questions or problems about the listservshould be directed to NGLTF MIS
Director Scott Mindeaux at [email-masked].

To unsubscribe from this list, send a message to [email-masked] 
and specify "unsubscribe federation" in the body of the message.
_____________________________________________________________________