Subject: ACTION ALERT: Illinois SB1773
From: James Yorton <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 1996 13:33:48 -0600 (CST)

[ originally from Tim Pierce, <[email-masked]> ]

SB 1773, the anti-gay-marriage bill in the Illinois Legislature,
has moved to the Judiciary Committee.  On Wednesday, March 6, the
committee will vote on whether to move it to the floor for a full
vote.  This isn't looking good.

WHAT WE NEED:

  * If you have been collecting petitions in opposition to SB
    1773, PLEASE fill them up and return them to me IMMEDIATELY!  

  * Come to Springfield to bear witness against this hateful bill.
    The Judiciary Committee meets at 9 AM on Wednesday in
    Springfield.

    Just by showing up for the testimony you can make a huge
    difference!  Visitors to the Legislature get to sign slips
    explaining why they're there and whether they support or
    oppose the proposed legislation.  If a large number of
    signatures appear in opposition to the bill, it may affect the
    committee's decision on whether or not to bring it to the
    floor.  Bring a carload of people to the senate and make your
    opposition heard!

    (To get to Springfield by car: take I-55 to Springfield
    and just follow signs for the Capitol.  It's easy to find and
    parking is easy.)

  * Call or write the senators on the Judiciary Committee,
    *especially* if you live in their jurisdictions!  A list of
    senators on the committee is appended below, courtesy of Rick
    Garcia of the Illinois Federation for Human Rights.

This is the message we are trying to get across to the senate:
this bill is hateful, spiteful, and simply a waste of taxpayer's
money.  In even-numbered years the legislature is supposed to
consider only emergency or budgetary legislation; what makes this
bill an "emergency?"  It plays no part in budgetary or fiscal
matters.  The bill is clearly *not* about public policy, but
rather partisan politics (feel free to change the wording of that
to remove the alliteration).  It is offensive that the senate
should waste time on such a pointlessly discriminatory item.

  JUDICIARY COMMITTEE

  REPUBLICANS:

      Sen. Carl Hawkinson (R) Knox Co.        (CHAIR)
      623 Capitol Building
      Springfield, IL 62706
      217-782-1942
      217-782-0116 (FAX)

      Sen. Peter Fitzgerald (R) Palatine      (SB 1773 SPONSOR)
      127 Capitol Building
      Springfield, IL 62701
      217-782-4471 
      217-782-4079 (FAX)

      Sen. Edward Petka (R) Joliet
      M-120 Capitol Building
      Springfield, IL 62706
      217-782-0422
      217-782-0650 (FAX)

      Sen. David Barkhausen (R) Lake Forest
      307 Capitol Building
      Springfield, IL 62706
      217-782-8181
      217-785-0552 (FAX)

      Sen. Dan Cronin (R) Wheaton
      111 Capitol Building
      Springfield, IL 62706
      217-782-8107
      217-782-4079 (FAX)

      Sen. Kirk Dillard (R) Hinsdale
      307 Capitol Building
      Springfield, IL 62706
      217-782-8148
      217-785-0552 (FAX)

      Sen. Patrick O'Malley (R) Palos Park
      118 Capitol Building
      Springfield, IL 62706
      217-782-5145 
      217-782-4079 (FAX)

  DEMOCRATS:

      Sen. Thomas Dunn (D) Peoria
      309-G Capitol Building
      Springfield, IL 62706
      217-782-8800 
      217-782-3242 (FAX)

      Sen. John Cullerton (D) Chicago
      417 Capitol Building
      Springfield, IL 62706
      217-782-7260
      217-782-3242 (FAX)

      Sen. Robert Molaro (D) Chicago
      M-103-A Capitol Building
      Springfield, IL 62706
      217-782-5280
      217-782-1631 (FAX)

      Sen. George Shadid (D) Peoria
      309-H Capitol Building
      Springfield, IL 62706
      217-782-8250 
      217-782-3242 (FAX)

---
_____________________________________________________________________________

* ACTION-ALERT is a moderated mailing list.                                 *
* To subscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:    [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:         subscribe action-alert *
* To unsubscribe to ACTION-ALERT, send mail to:  [email-masked] *
* In the mail message, enter ONLY the words:       unsubscribe action-alert *
* Words in the Subject: line are NOT processed!                             *
_____________________________________________________________________________