From: [email-masked] (Kevin Boyer/Wilmette)
Date: 95-07-18 13:24:43 EDT

NEWS
RELEASE

July 17, 1995      Contact:  Kevin Boyer, (708) 256-8446
                           Timothy Lynch, (312) 274-9790

        Gerber/Hart Late Summer Exhibit Schedule

    Chicago, Illinois . . . The Gerber/Hart Gay and Lesbian
Library and Archives announced its exhibit schedule through the
end of September today.  These exhibits are a continuation of
Gerber/Hart's efforts to highlight the work of local lesbian &
gay artists in a friendly space.  The exhibits are planned and
implemented by Gerber/Hart Board member, Timothy Lynch, who
encourages artists to contact him at (312) 883-3003 if they
would like to be considered for future exhibitions.
    July 21 to August 17, Gerber/Hart presents "Classical
Images," an exhibition featuring the work of Chicago artist
Fernando Reyes.  Taking inspiration from existing sculpture,
architecture, and fountains, Reyes evokes a sense of mystery,
moods, and sensuality that goes beyond the originals. 
Integrating watercolor washes and pen and ink with other
mediums such as oils and printmaking, Reyes reveals his love
for the classical and neoclassical.  An opening reception will
be held featuring the artist on Friday, July 21, 1995, at
Gerber/Hart from 7 to 9 pm.
    August 18 to September 21, Gerber/Hart presents "Vision
Quest," an exhibition featuring the work of Chicago figurative
and photo artist Scott A. Fleming.  Having gained notoriety
this past year for his unique vision of the human spirit,
Fleming pursues the single-light-source theme evidence in much
of his work.  After years of wrestling with his sexuality,
Fleming sees the single light source as a metaphor of one's
particular psychological vantage point.  An opening reception
featuring the artist will be held on Friday, August 18, at
Gerber/Hart from 7 to 9 pm.
    On Friday, September 22, Gerber/Hart will host a reception
to introduce a multi-artist exhibition of work by members of
Pride Youth, a drop-in center for Gay, Lesbian, and Bisexual
Youth housed at the Unitarian Church in Evanston.  This open
exhibition will provide these young artists with a chance to
experiment and play as well as show their sense of pride.  For
two years, Pride Youth has been serving young people from 13-18
years of age every Monday night from 6 pm to 9 pm.  The
Unitarian Church is located at 1330 N. Ridge Avenue, Evanston.
    The Gerber/Hart Pride Youth exhibit will run through mid-
October; the ending date is not yet finalized due to other
Gerber/Hart commitments in October, Lesbian, Gay & Bisexual
History Month.
    Founded in 1981, Gerber/Hart Library & Archives, 3352 N.
Paulina, is a lesbian and gay library, archives, and cultural
center.  Gerber/Hart is dedicated to meeting the information
needs of its unique community in a safe atmosphere that
promotes research, exploration, and discovery.  For more
information, call (312) 883-3003.
                           ###

Gerber/Hart Gay and Lesbian Library and Archives
3352 N. Paulina
Chicago, IL  60657
(312) 883-3003
FAX (312) 883-3078
Gerber/Hart E-Mail:  [email-masked]
Kevin Boyer E-Mail:  [email-masked]
Home Page:  http://dial.illinois.net/~ghla/

dt